Haven't seen my period since my surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 40yrs old and I had a 32cm Dermoid Cyst removed from my ovary back in early June of this year. They said it was twisted around my ovary and that's what caused the heavy blood flow and a big stomach. Now after the surgery I was still bleeding for 9 days which was scary for me, so they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I stopped. Anyway I was in the hospital for a total of 17 days. I guess what I wanted to know how long after such a big surgery when should my period start? I asked my doctor but she said everyone is different. So does anyone else have this issue?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I hope someone with same size and aftermath can reply.

My dermoid was in a 9cm cyst only. Due to squeezing ovarian tissue, I bled after operation, but only for 3 days.

My period was completely muddled up, but did start in the second month after operation, so had about 7 weeks none (and enjoyed that very much).

• Posted

Thanks a lot sweetie. I also hope there's someone out there that has

shared my experience as well. By the way I I'm very happy for you

and your 7wks of heaven. 8-ยป

• Posted

I'm curious to know this as well. My cyst is 26cm and I'm scheduled for surgery in 10 days, and if my calculations are correct, I'm also due to start my period the day of surgery so I'm wondering how that will all work out...

• Posted

I guess so.

Your ovulation has most likely happened already almost 4 days ago

(better than calculations would be observations: temperature spike on ovulation and during lutheal phase and slime just before ovulation)

Your estrogene made a thick endometrium layer for nidation of a possible fertilised egg after ovulation (that arrives there about 5-7 days after ovulation for nidation) already.

So no matter if you get surgery in 10 days,

your endometrium is build up, your ovulation happened

and you (should be) are in the lutheal/2nd phase now with progesterone starting to be produced.

If you didn't get a 'fertilised' egg after ovulation and pregnant, 

this endometrium layer needs to bleed off and will bleed off.

Your uterus is not touched, your endometrium is not touched.

Your ovary is though and if that handling can release hormones which would stop the coming almost happening bleeding, I am not sure,

I would rather think the other way round.

(My daughter was 4 days prior period onset for laparoscopy appointment - she knew ovulation day- and bled the next day after laparoscopy, 3 days earlier than known and expected due to surgery)

After the operation your cycle will be messed up anyway and with one ovary left, it will take time for that one to do the work of both regarding hormone levels.

I am pretty sure, you will have a period at hopsital.

You want that build up endometrium to shed/bleed off actually.

You might be checked via ultrasound anyway, too.

But please let us know.

It's an interesting question.

• Posted

Thank you for the information. I will be calling my nurse to ask her on Monday. I'd assume this wouldn't put surgery on hold or anything based on the fact that I told them when my last period was, how my cycle is typically 28 days in between, and they booked a surgery date for me, knowing all of this information. I haven't read anything to say it wouldn't just go according to schedule, I was just curious.

• Posted

Yes ask, but no, why should it put your surgery on hold?

They are very used to women's periods or period like bleeing after pelvic surgery. ;-)

Best of luck for your cyst removal!

That's the most important!

• Posted

No! All the best for your ovary and tube removal!

It's even more than just a cyst removal, isn't it!

oooxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.