GERD Attack every few months?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've posted here before but for an entirely different reason so I'm hoping to get help with this. My boyfriend suffers from GERD from what we are told after a nose scope. But the thing is is that it's not a daily thing. Its like every 3-6 months he has like 3-4 days with really severe reflux. Today is day 2 and he's been coughing and just overall can't eat because his throat is so irritated. I've been giving him 2 zantac every 4 hours which seems to be the only thing to clear it up, but it never works quickly. He's drinking aloe juice but I don't really think any of this stuff works. It seems like there is no onset. He loves spicy food and can eat it all the time. This just seems to happen at random.

Does anyone else have attacks like this? I just want to make sure that's what it is. The ENT said it was but didn't do much past that. If so, is there anything that can help this severeness? I even took him to the hospital once and they gave him a prescription antacid and lidocaine and it was just a waste of time.

Hoping tomorrow is much better. I have anxiety myself and I am so worn down worrying about him but sucking it up to do what I can.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi sorry to hear about your bf well its normal he will have the gerd attack after how many monthS? what if he will feel like me i have severe panic attacks in which i feel tightness in my left side chest like i have a heart attack and light headed and also i feel like i will fall any time then i have lot of burp for days--it happens to me very week 3 or 4 days i use Ppi medicine which didnot help me i have scopy down from nose to stomach shown nothing and also i have upset stomach i have done colonscopy didnot show any thing wrong----waiting for the next saturday that i will visit to the doctor who do the scopy for me from nose i will discuss with him in detail bcoz i have lot of fear when ever i have panic attacks every night when i am going to sleep i think thats my last night and mroning when i awake feel pain in body and burps i think thats my last day---got tired of it say it to ur bf to avoid spicy food i have search on internet just give PPi + zantac tablet to your bf may b bcoz of that he feel well...i never try but i will discuss with my doc and also if it possible i am ready to do fundoplication for gerd if its confirm gerd-------i didnot find any answer till now
  • Posted

I have GERD too and get the cough which at times keep me up all night,here's some tips to help,1)chew your food really good,2) don't drink water between meals,only after.3)try to move around after each meal,4) try to keep your face/chin up,I've noticed that with me I start coughing if I look down to read or look on my phone for more than 5 mins at a time.5) don't wear tight fitting clothes.6)eat a couple spoons of organic yogurt everyday.7)sleep on your back.Hope this helps,I know how stressful this can be,good luck

• Posted

Hi there I think your BF needs to cut out spivey foods also booze and eat healthy fish is a good healthy food also don't eat late at night and cut of coffee drink water before a meal not lots after and he needs PPI and Zantac also Gaviscon is good I don't think alovera is a good thing myself also he should go back to his doctor if things don't settle the way he gets a long break between attacks will one day close in if he doesn't take more care of his diet now

• Posted

I have acid reflux for almost a year now. What really helps is being aware of what sort of foods trigger the symptoms and try avoiding them. My appetite was greatly affected because of this condition. I love spicy food but ever since i have this i seldom eat them.. small frequent meals helps as well. I eat like every after 3 to 4 hours. I dont eat heavy at night. What saddens me is that i have a hard time drinking alcohol. I cant even finish a bottle of beer. So i guess its really a lifestyle change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.