I am still exhausted 8 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is still so tired after their gallbladder surgery? I had my bloodwork done and only low D so taking suppliments. B12, multi with iron, D, enzymes and a probiotic. I am nit having the dreaded diareah, eating healthy just exhausted. Thank you for any replies.

6 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Wendy, sounds like you're doing the best you can.  Having your gallbladder removed is still major surgery.  I've heard it's one of the hardest surgeries to recover from.  Glad to know you're not having any diarreha!  It took me nearly a year to feel back to normal--it takes some people a longer time.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you Lynda! It is a helpless feeling, no control over your body🙃 Wow, took you a year, I guess 8 weeks is not that abnormal to feel this way then. My side still hurts where I think most of the poking was done, ice packs seem to help that. Glad you are feeling back to normal and that there is light at the end if the tunnel xo

• Posted

I am only 2 weeks 2 days post surgery but I tire so easily!! I am healed physically but I have no stamina. I read 1-3 months is average for most. Maybe you're just on the longer side. We leave for Disneyland on Monday. I have no idea how I am going to manage the long days of walking when I get winded doing laundry! Hopefully a few more weeks you'll be feeling closer to normal!

• Posted

Hi Tami, I feel just like that too. I seem to be able to eat fine, my incisions are healing nie but just the exhaustion. We cancelled our Disney camping trip and trip to NYC this summer. I would suggest keeping protein bars and peanut butter with you if you need energy at Disney!! Hope yours goes away quicker than mine, all the best xo
    • Posted

Can anyone tell me why I might have so many incisions after this surgery? I imagined that I would have one but I have 5 and my surgeon is not seeing post gall bladder patients. The largest one is ABOVE my belly button area. Thanks if anyone knows putting it in google will bring up 4 incisions surgery or open surgery but not 5!

• Posted

laproscopic surgery usually involves 3-4, the gallbladder is removed from your belly button incision. Did you have a drain in your stomach? I was converted to open surgery after surgeon tried to do it laproscopically, I have 4 small ones from that, one from my drain and the large one.

• Posted

i wondered this too. i had five. not got a clue! I am quite well now. Am getting so tired now by 4-5pm. often fall asleep for a while. it was 8 weeks ago that I had my op. i will leave it a few weeks before I contact Gp.

i am fine and have good energy earlier in the day.

• Posted

Is your belly button incision about an inch long and actually above your belly button? I believe this is the one mine was removed from the others were for cameras and tools. (I think)

• Posted

Hi , I am 1 week today since surgery to remove gallbladder and lodged stones . Today I've managed to put on clothes and not pjs as my belly must have went down a bit . like you I am extremely tired and sleep numerous times during the day .I am also very emotional , has anyone else had this ? good luck on your holiday x

• Posted

I can't remember that far back as it was over 10 years ago that I had my gallbladder removed but it is great that you are not getting the diarrhoea as that is what I have suffered with for ever.

• Posted

Hi Pally, That is terrible that you are still suffering from that for all theae years! There has to be something to help you?
    • Posted

I am seeing a consultant on wednesday 31/08/ to see whether I haver BAM but of course i will need to have the double scan to determine if this is the case which will be expensive, fingers crossed that is the problem.

I work outside so that makes life hard having to rush to a loo in a supermarket.

• Posted

What is BAM? Keep us posted as I will be thinking of you. I hope you can get some resolve, feel so bad for you!
    • Posted

BAM stands for Bile Acid Malabsorption it is something you can get after having your gallbladder removed, I had to do loads of research as the doctor had never heard of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.