Please help with my daughter

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

My daughter is 17 and suffers from anxiety,she also suffers from acne. She has not left the house properly for well over a year, she won't go to shops or out with friends. So she is not working or college x we have tried to see a counsellor but we got half way there then she started shaking and crying so we has to turn round. I am so worried about her any medication for her skin she stops taking as she said it makes her feel sick even the pill to try and help her skin she stopped. She has not a had relationship as won't go out. Any help or advice will be truly appreciated I'm at my wits end.

Thank you

Nicola

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear poor thing i did same thing at same age.

I wasnt in college for a year and skipped school most of yr before.

Youre doing great we didnt know until i screwed up uni and no relationships and many other things that i had depression...when i was 32

If i could go back to then i would probably...

Get a home visit from your gp and try booking a telephone couselling session with relate or a teenage counselling service. Ask person to visit first so shes not talkibg to stranger. If phone no good skype to a counsellor might be better. Its prob about £50 per hour session if you need something now or wait up to mth through gp. Might be quicker for teen.

Advise her to tell them every last detail including anything she is embarrassed about so they know the whole story and can advise her correctly. (If she only says part she will get a solution to a different problem which wont work). Writing a diary is good of all the good stuff that happens only. Start it with biggest hug ever received from mum...keep hugging till she says you acheived it perhaps. ? Any happy event no matter how small is good to combat her low mood abd steer anything negative away from her ears. Even just letting off steam about your life to her will be too much.

Give her 1 small task a day to achieve. Even if its getting dressed. Get that in her diary and get her to do it every day and build on it.

For you get some books from library to support you with ideas and to recognise stuff and maybe useful if you are trying to show her she has an issue. Try some for depression anxiety and cognitive behaviour therapy. Also use nhs website and mind org.

I know its a bit random but get her checked for pcos. Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Root of all my problems. All hormones out of balance. Depression and anxiety, weight problems, Irregular periods. Acne. Excess hair etc etc etc.

If she thinks the acne scars will be there forever. They wont. Not all of them. The worst of my acne just stopped coming in my 20's for unknown reason. She can get medical microdermabrasion like i did at Harley medical. Check it out for you first see what u think. Or skin peels to get her skin back later.

I didnt have a relationship til i was 25. Im fine esp since i realised with no experience i was better than the person i was with first smile he was 33.

If they give her antidepressants ask for lowest dose to start with and keep eye on her. You will hear negative things about them but they were a lifeline to me. I use them now. Fluorextine is mine. (See mind org and nhs website to learn truth and facts)

there are side effects and she might get much more anxious to start with but it fades after 4-6weeks in most cases. Ssris build up a natural brain chemical serotonin. It doesnt make you turn weird in head. Dont take st johns wort while taking them. Another side effect is low libido which she may not tell u about but worries her if she notices she cant achieve stuff on her own. She may do i dont know. (Sorry to mention that but thought i should say)

I also use propandol to stop the shaking. Its a beta blocker. It helps me stay asleep because panic sometimes woke me up. Also get her to reduce any crying herself to sleep..you know that perpetual crying where just doing it makes u more upset. That will hold her mood down.

Tretenoin or retin-a cream was used for effective acne reduction. They may offer roaccutane but i didnt use that. They may also give her Dianette the pill. That helped to control some of hormones which was good. This can only be used if her blood pressure stays good.

Probably good shes at home when she starts taking any meds.

Oh get some drawing ointment magnesium sulphate and some mepore dressing from amazon or chemist... for drying up major spots.

The more water less processed food the better. Reduce bread and chocolate. Even if it doesnt stop acne it will mean one or two spots kept away. She can do without more. Regularly wash hair and pillowcases.

I am wracking brain to think of anythibg else which might be possibly be if use.

Think what your priority is for her happiness now. The future will sort out if she is happy and functioning healthily now. She can catch up like i did.

Good luck xxxx

• Posted

OMG where have you been the last 2 years? We have tried so many things but what you have told me is absolutely amazing xxx thank you so much x I will keep you upto date on her progress we will try everything 😘😘 xxx

• Posted

You're welcome! I learnt the hard way but if she can benefit from anything its worth it smile

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.