IBS Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have experience of physiotherapy and or massage to relieve the pain associated with IBS.  If so what sort of treatment and did it work for you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I massage myself occasionally following guidelines from my doctor but I am not the sort of person who would feel comfortable being massaged by a stranger.
  • Posted

Full body massage would help with anxiety I guess. But I have found that gentle abdominal massage is good for cramp and reliving constipation and trapped wind. Don't do it if you have diarrhoea though as it encores things to move which is not what you need!

• Posted

This is what my doc said re: abdominal massage and I have bouts of constipation so very good at those times.
  • Posted

My pain is helped my medication such as parcetmol and rubbinh my tummy which helps things move along.

Your GP could try drugs like Spazmanol and Mebrivne.

• Posted

I had deep tissue massage to relieve the extreme pain of chiropractory that I had tried fo relieve old injuries. Unfortunately, both triggered an immune reaction, particularly the massage, and I developed costochondritis and then IBS. To receive stomach pain I take Buscopan and Nurofen if the pain is bad.  Sometimes Paracetemol is enough although it takes longer to work.  To be honest, I am not convinced about these so called natural therapies such as acupuncture,massage, etc.  If they can cause the reaction like the one I had, I don't think they work with the body at all.  However, everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.