Anaemia help !!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with anaemia after two years of feeling tired and run down and depressed. I have had a course of 6 injections that finished on Tuesday however I feel worse than ever. I have started having heavy legs feeling that frightens me a lot to be honest and I am worried I am never going to be able to return to work as I am on unpaid leave at the moment due to the side effects I am suffering. I am trying to remain positive but struggling as it seeks I get one thing after another.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Susan I am wondering what were the iron injections like? I have been anaemia for over a year and my stomach now cannot tolerate the iron tablets the doctor has offered iron injections but I am nervous of side effects etc...

to answer your how long ..the problem is our blood cells can become small as well as low in haemaglobin meaning they don't carry enough oxygen ..hence your heavy legs , tiredness, heart pulsing , bad sleep headaches etc.. But once ferritin levels are raised gradually your new blood cells will start to form bigger but it all takes time.. I have found asking ladies in their 80s they all got anaemia when younger often ended up very ill on iron injections but all recovered ..once the problem causing the anaemia resolved ..with me its peri menopause ..

• Posted

Thank you sally I will visit the doctor again tomorrow and let you know
    • Posted

Hi sally the b12 injections are ok they hurt a little after they are done but nothing to worry about I just seem to suffer horrendous side effects I just want my legs back to normal
  • Posted

Have you had your B12 levels checked? This can cause the tiredness you are feeling. Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Sorry I wasn't clear then, you need your B12 levels to be high enough to aid with iron absorption.

I took Ferroglobin with B12 along with an iron supplement which helped me

• Posted

Hi Maisie

No I haven't had them checked since my last injection I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow

• Posted

Hi Susan, My Poor Hubby is really going through things. He is Disabled as it is with Chronic osteo-arthritis of the spine, hips & knees, severely sighted , deaf and had an ulcer in his stomach, which caused Aneamia, & now he has two moles, which are being removed next month. He has been on Iron tablets, then has to be re tested in october, so I will have to call up our GP to get him booked into have his next blood test. I really feel like sreaming. Being a carer isnt easy. But I am not too well myself. Which part of the uk are you from? I am from surrey. Regards Amandah

• Posted

Hi Amanda I am sorry to hear your husband is going through a bad time. I know how you feel my mum is carer for my brother and my dad it's tough for her. Plus with me being ill as well she has her hands full. I am going back to my gp tomorrow to get closer to finding a solution as I really need to get back to work. I am from Liverpool.

Did your husbands iron tablets help him with

anaemia

Regards Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, To be honest My Husband is no better since being on Iron pills. He now has dark poos and very smelly. Hes also got Arthritis Like I have and deaf and severly sighted. I hate these GPS at times. But we will get there in the end I guess. Regards Amandah
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

I'm sure you will get there in the end. I have been back to my gp today who has said that my b12 was only just below normal and he doesn't know what's causing my heavy legs and head so I've had more bloods today and go back Wednesday fingers crossed it get sorted soon

Regards sue

• Posted

Hi have you had your vit D looked at,heavy legs and head are one of the symptoms of vitamin D deficancy x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola I have had all kinds of blood test done and they come back normal but I've not asked about my vitamin d so I will make an appointment to do that thank you

• Posted

Hi, I'm back at the doctors on Tuesday for a blood test to see if my iron levels have improved after a month of iron tablets. I'm not holding out much hope though as still feeling dizzy and light headed and breathless when climbing stairs. Even sitting here now I can feel my heart thudding even though it's not beating fast. Anyway hoping iron levels will have increased as otherwise more tests to find out what's going on!

• Posted

im back this week too for repeat blood tests to see if my iron and vitamin d levels have improved, my ferritin level was 8, around 8 weeks ago sad same as you i dont really feel like theres been any improvment.

• Posted

My poor Hubby feel s as there is no improvement & he is sleepy a lot of the time.He also has very dark & smelly poos! Is this right? He also suffers from IBs.!He has to have a Biopsy taken from his back.At the end of September.Then his full blood count in October.Regards Amanda h

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.