Please read! Extreme, extreme bloating and pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

My husband has had extreme bloating and pain for about 4 months. He looks like he's pregnant. He's had every test I can think of including an endoscopy and colonoscopy. His celiac test came back negative but he still tried the gluten free diet for a month. He's also tried the Fodmap diet along with many prescription meds. Nothing is relieving the bloating or pain. The pain areas vary. He's extremely uncomfortable and frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Has he lost weight
    • Posted

Ok I was thinking maybe he had sibo but if he gained weight he doesn't has he given up up caffeine

• Posted

He only drinks one - two cups of coffee in the morning.  Otherwise, he gave up ALL soda.  He drinks sweet tea and water throughout the day.  
  • Posted

Did he cut dairy items from his diet?
    • Posted

Yes, he cut dairy out totally.  He thinks that aggravates his IBS.  He does not eat or drink anything dairy and that has only helped with the diarrhea - not with the major bloating and pain.  Thanks for responding.
  • Posted

Has your doctor suggested IBS?
    • Posted

I'm sorry.  We know it is IBS.  I guess I jumped on this forum and expected everyone to read my mind.  My apologies. He's had IBS for about 7 years.

• Posted

In that case, maybe he is having a prolonged IBS flare up.  Sometimes. medications that worked before, stop working.  Has he tried Buscopan, peppermint oil capsules, probiotics? Nurofen is also good for the pain so long as he is not sensitive to it.  I take Buscopan and Nurofen if my IBS gets bad
    • Posted

Thanks.  Do they help with extreme bloating????  

We've tried the probiotics for about 3 months and nothing helped.  But, he could possibly try one of those new medications you mentioned.  Thank you.

• Posted

I don't know about bloating because I don't get that symptom.  Maybe he has a food intolerance that has not yet come to light.  

• Posted

Can I enquire after having the colonoscopy did they mention a redundant colon?, can could the colonoscopy be completed?.
    • Posted

The doctor did not mention that.  They only found GERD with the endoscopy and yes the colonoscopy was completed.  
  • Posted

He could try Turmeric capsules you can also get Turmeric 95% curcumin, I take it for Rheumatoid arthritis and IBS it's said to to be a great anti inflammatory, seems to have a good affect for me.

• Posted

This IS the type I take. I heard one should stop tumeric 2 weeks before a surgery. He gets shoulder surgery on Sept 6th. Maybe we'll try the peppermint oil capsules til after the surgery. I gotta make him try it somehow.

• Posted

Yes, I think Turmeric can thin the blood or interfer with clotting I've read, but I don't no if the this proven out side test tube conditions or in the body, best to side on caution maybe.

• Posted

Yes, that's what I read.  We picked up some peppermint oil capsules with ginger in them.  Something to try until after the surgery smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.