Pregnant or paranoid?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible to be pregnant and get 12 clear negative pregnancy tests? I've had pregnancy symptoms for a few weeks now (around 4/5) and have recently felt a hard lump below my belly button and above my pubic bone. I'm on the implant so I know it's 1 in 100 get pregnant and it's not likely, but I just feel like something is wrong even though I've taken loads of pregnancy tests. Or am I just being paranoid?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a period ? If test came back negative than you are probably not pregnant. Our brain is amazing and if you think that you have pregnancy symptoms than you will try to convince yourself to believe in that. I m guessing that you are trying to consive pregnancy and you wish to stay pregnant that's why you feel in this way. Just go and see your doctor to be checked for lumps .

• Posted

The new urine bhcg pregnancy tests are very sensitive.

It needs about 7 days earliest for the bhcg to show up in blood after ovulation/fertilisation of an egg cell due to the physiology of hormone production itself.

That's about the time the egg comes from its journey through the tubes and nidates into the endometrium of the uterus wall and has attached successfull (also if attached in tubes the placenta forming cells will release this 'stay' hormone)....

Usually day 11 after fertilisation is a fix day to find bhcg in all just very eraly pregnant women. This is just before expected period.

A sensitive urine test correlates with the blood hormone findings quite well, maybe a day later (when the concentration is doubled again).

To be save and avoid false negative test results,

one should be around or past period time for testing, around 2 weeks after possible fertilisation/ovulation.

so:

- first of all be sure you are not in the first week of 'pregnancy' meaning 1week after ovulation, 1 week before expected period, when producing a urine sample.

be careful with 'week' counting btw: 

- Laboratories bhcg blood values and referange ranges for 'pregnancy weeks' are counted from fertilisation usually unless stated differently,

- gynaecologists count from last menstruation day when no one is pregnant

(and shift it depending on ultrasound measurement)

- By law no one is pregnant at fertilisation, only after nidation...otherwise IUD and pill-after to avoid nidation woud be abortion.

(always be vigilant with embryo pics and stating 'weeks', which weeks, when counted from is vital, it should actually be 'days' from fertilisation in the first 8 weeks.)

Anyway:

be not too early

use MORNING URINE

use a test, that is not expired and was packed air tight.

Use different brands of urine tests for re-testing.

Best time and savest time is 2 weeks after ovulation/fertilisation, which is around your period time or later.

False negative is usually if done too early and in too diluted urine.

If in doubt go to a doc, ask for a blood test 

and if your belly is 'hard', I would ask for an ultrasound referral so or so.

All the best!!!

• Posted

'early'

'passed' not 'past'.

Goodness, sorry for my typos.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.