Splints: reporting on usage for CTS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I came to see you on 13th June 2016 regarding CTS.  I had the CTS test using the electrical impulse thinggy, I can't exactly remember my results, I think the result was 2 on left and 3 on right hand.  You suggested I wore splints at night and report back to you.  I am pleased to say that the splint works very well on the left hand, I only get pins and needles when doing something quite intense, like knitting, and the right hand is about 70% better.   However I do have pain and extreme stiffness in the ring finger of the right hand, it causes me to drop things, the finger gets 'stuck' straight or bent and kind of 'clicks' when I move it.  It is particularly bad in the morning and I have to use my other hand to physically warm it up and get it moving smoothly.  Is this CTS or something else?  I need to sort this out as it is getting worse, it is very uncomfortable, and will impact on my work.

Just to remind you I am a professional gardener, and so my hands are often cold and wet in the winter.  I have horses and riding is problematical, and I am a runner and get pain when running, although the problems when riding and running are pins/needles/numbness rather than the stiff joint problem. 

I look forward to hearing what you think I should do next.  Thank your for your time. 

Kind regards

Fiona 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If that is addressed to me can we move this to the Canterbury clinic website please. The locking finger sounds a trigger digit. Dr J Bland
    • Posted

Thank you, it is addressed to you, can you give me a link to correct website please?  I've taken ages to report to you becasue I didn't quite know how to find you.   Apologies, lost my letter with your contact details on it.   

• Posted

It's quite hard to post links in here because they get moderated. One fairly reliable way of finding my site is to google failed carpal tunnel surgery - it's usually the top two hits for that. Trying to write it here in a way that will not get blocked it is carpal-tunnel dot net - if you see what I mean - you will have to adjust the punctuation/spelling. JB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.