Amlodipine / ramipril

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my question is for my mum , she is taking amlodipine and ramipril , since taking amlodipine her arthritis in her knee is really bad and now she's got pain down her lower leg tendonitis we think , has anyone had any leg pains in amlodipine please

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

This is the most common complaint along with swelling of the ankles and legs. Many people have this side effect. I suffered for 3 weeks with pain in my legs and very swollen ankles and legs. I stopped taking it myself then insisted my GP put me on something else. My husband has also had this problem but put up with it, he now has continuous pain in his knees. He went back to his GP who cut the dose down by half and gave him another medication alongside it. He has now stopped Amlodipine and only takes the other med. His knees are a little better but we wonder if the damage has been done now. Take you mum back to her doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes, I noticed that after a month or so on Adlodopine that my legs felt really woozy or numb. My ankles felt a bit heavy (perhaps swollen) and also my knees felt weak. I always had really strong legs, so this was a bit strange for me. I took myself off the Adlodipine and my legs feel a little better.
    • Posted

What happened with your blood pressure when you came off amlodipine ?
    • Posted

What happened when I went off of the Adlodipine? Well another reason why I went off of it is because I got super depressed. I cut it in half for a while just to see if I would get any better. Sometimes I didn't take anything and it was like 131 / 85. I always have trouble with the bottom number. I checked my blood pressure and regular and it was never all that bad it was like 118/78, 129 / 78. The highest that it was when I quit the Adlodipine was 140/ 85. I had some old Lisinopril that I took some and if I took a whole pill my blood pressure was 93/64. I felt like I was dead. So I halfed that one. I battled with depression and I really felt better if I didn't take any kind of medication at all. I made an appointment with my doctor and he put me on Chlorthalidone. However, same situation. I really feel better when I don't take anything at all. I am checking my blood pressure regular. I have not taken anything for 4 days and my blood pressure is running good. It is running 120 over 80, 118 / 79, one day it ran 140/84 and then minutes later 118 / 83 and 129/ 84. This morning it was 136/86. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and maybe take a pinch of medicine when it looks like it's getting high. I am under a lot of stress and have a lot going on. I am sure that is making my blood pressure go up. I need to lose some weight, continue to eat good, get good sleep and get out as much as I can.

• Posted

When my Doctor upped me to 10mg of the cursed medication, my knees and hips pained me so much that it was hard to even walk.  Every step was painful.  When I finally figured out what it was I dropped back to 5mg and eventually stopped it altogether.  Finally started feeling better about a week later.
    • Posted

What's happend about your blood pressure after stopping amlodipine

• Posted

I still take Benicar (generic is olmasartan) and HCTZ (water pill).  It's stable and runs around 125 to135 over 70 to 85.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.