Shortness of breath

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on Citalopram 40mg for 2years but felt it no longer worked. My doctor took me off completely and started me on the Mitrazapine 15mg dose a week ago. I feel awful on this. I have shortness of breath throughout the day and wake with the shakes and feeling horrible. My arms feel weak and I am so tired. My doctor says give it another 4-5days. I don't feel I can. Please help. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi - that sounds horrible . . .  did your doctor to a gradual switch or was it just stop Citalopram one day and start Mirtazapine . . . the symptoms you are experiencing could be the withdrawal of the Citalopram?   I would speak with your doctor again and in the meanwhile I hope you start to feel better very soon
    • Posted

Hi thank you yes I came off the citalopram gradually then started. I never took it last night as I felt so ill so didn't have any sleep till 4am. I won't bore you with a repeat of my reply to calmer. I have been left in limbo now till my gp returns from 2 weeks holiday. Just great!

• Posted

Hi M

I think Susan is right, its the discontinuation syndrome from the Cit', fortunately you can take both of these at the same time (Mirt & Cit), I did this for 2 months when I switched from Cit to Mirt' ~ speak to your doc about this if you can.

Doctors saying "just stop", "just switch", they don't realise, they don't have the training, just able to write prescriptions ggrrrrr ...

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you. I ended up with an emergency appointment this afternoon they have just said to stop and wait till my normal gp who is on holiday for a fortnight understands my condition (I suffer from spinal problems and nerve damage with depression)can offer a new one. Great so I'm left! Only advice she gave was to take my diazepam

• Posted

Shortness of breath, is that on the Mirt' side effects leaflet?  I think it may be.  It is so sedating, especially at the lower doses.

Yes limbo, not exactly where you want to be, give youu some space anyways, just hope your sleep is ok, did you manage to nap today?  Have youu tried CBT or Mindfully Based CBT ~ I think they may call the latter MBCT.  Although I do appreciate how hard it must be with spinal problems, I hope you get something sorted out.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I switched straight from 10mg of citiopram to 15mg mirtazipine also after being on cit for 2 years. It took me a good first month to get over side effects and feel better. Try to push through the drowsiness and how you're feeling, it will subside and mzp was a much better drug for anxiety for me! The only problems I am having now are with withdrawal. I have been the most ill in my life coming off it and a month later i am no better so watch out for that.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.