The low FODMAP diet and my partners excessive wind...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hullo all, I was referred to a dietician a couple of months ago with presumed ibs and acid reflux and was told to try the low FODMAP diet. I was not thrilled at the idea because it meant cutting out many of the staples in my daily diet. I've stuck quite structly to the diet for 4 weeks, during which time gas and bloating has diminished dramatically. I hadn't even realised i was bloated but within a week id lost an inch off my waist. In addition, my acne is under much better control, and I'm very few pimples away from achieving clear skin (fingers crossed). Now the downside, or coincidental occurrence is that I'm feeling absolutely exhausted all the time, getting headaches, dizziness, orthostatic hypotension and mouth ulcers...I've also lost 3 pounds in 4 weeks and am now underweight sad. I really hope I can come to some sort of compromise with my diet where I don't get bloating and cramping, but I can get yo a healthier weight where I have some energy. Does anyone have any positive experiences with this diet?

As for my partner..he says he doesn't have ibs but is the gassiest person I've even known and proud of if at home. Im getting woken up in the night by his loud farts and that's not helping with my tiredness. I've suggested he also try the low FODMAP diet with me but he's not interested. Sigh. Maybe the universe has passed my extra gas over to him now!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear Low FODMAP is working for you. I've been eating Low FODMAP for almost a year and it has brilliant for me. It may be that your headaches etc are a result of withdrawl from various food additives which you've stopped having. 

In my case, the more experienced I have become in following the diet, the more balanced my calorie intake has become. Like you, I lost a bit of weight intially but it soon steadied. 

• Posted

you've done it for a whole year?! wow, I'm impressed.

Hehe yeah, Im definately suffering from apple pie and chickpea curry withdrawal!

I really hope I don't lose any more becasue it was only a few years ago I was under dietetic supervision for weight restoration (from an eating disorder) and it was such hard work to gain it all.

• Posted

It has become a way of life now, I don't even think of it as a diet.  To be honest I probably eat a much more varied diet using fresh ingredients than I did before and I certainly don't feel in the least bit deprived of foods I used to eat. Apart from mushrooms, which I avoid completely, I've found low fodmap substitutes for virtually everything else I want to eat. 

Instead of apple pie, why not try making berry pie (strawberries, blueberries etc) using gluten free pastry? Everybody loves my home made steak and "onion" (chives not onions) pie and they don't even realise it's low fodmap/gluten free. 

Good luck and be creative and have fun in devising the eating plan that suits you

Jan

• Posted

That's awesome and encouraging - thanks or taking the time to reply smile

hmm berry gluten free pie...I will experiment - so far I have tried and failed at both flapjack and chocolate cornflaker cakes (how???) so my skill level is pretty low. I'm happy to have an excuse to avoid mushroom actually!

Im very interested to see how I cope with the challenge / reintroduction stage that shoudl start next week..

• Posted

He could try and cut out dairy from his diet that might help him.
    • Posted

Thanks Mark, apparently he's been eating more pulses recently so I think we've found our farty culprit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.