Comparison

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Does anyone know whether there is a difference in recovery rate between a scheduled hip replacement and a replacement because of a break?

I fell and broke my hip in March in Paris and had to wait 3 days in hospital for a thr. I read these posts but l just dont seem to be progressing at the same rate of others. Most do seem to be as a result of OA. I know but l just wondered.

Any ideas ??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had two replacements in both hips. One hip dislocated and it was repaired in 24 hire but then waited for a new surgery to replace worn out cup

The second surgery was definitely a slower recovery based on I had to use crutches for 6 weeks as opposed to getting a walker immediately

Needless to say everyone heals differently so please don't take my experience as the final words

At the end of the healing process you will be pleased you did this second surgery? Maybe not pleased but relieved and able to get on with your daily activities

Good luck. Enjoy the rest

• Posted

We all recover at difefrent rates - don't worry too much as long as the docs and physios are pleased with you.

• Posted

hi lin, 

Well, this is a very individual process and we heal at our own rate -

When was your  surgery and how are you getting on?

What kind of a break was it - sometimes it might take a bit longer if the break was complicated - 

love to hear more -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. I fell on March 17th in Paris and broke the top of my femur. I had an anterior total hip replacement on 21st still in Paris. I must say it was a horrible experience, mostly because l don't speak French and very few members of the staff in the hospital spoke English. I didn't get home for 12 days!

I have had swelling near the incision which a scan says is scarred muscle tissue. I guess it's this that is holding me back. I am paying for my own physio because the circumstances meant it was difficult to hook up with the system. I have seen a consultant twice and he says l.have the trauma he would expect. Sorry, l can hear myself moaning, and l hate that. Thanks for your message

Lin

Xxx

• Posted

hi Lin, 

I remember ... Do you live in Paris? I thought you were there on holidays .. (sorry for asking)  - 

they kept you for 12 days in the hospital and maybe that had something to do with a bit more complex hip replacement surgery - I don't know - 

broken bone might have needed additional repair .. 

What are the things you can do / cannot do ...

You can moan and groan here any time and at any length -

angel blessings

• Posted

I was on a short break!!!!! I stayed for 12 days because it took that long for the travel insurance company to liaise with the hospital. The insurance company were fantastic though.

I can't walk very far without real discomfort and stiffness. Any actual pain l get seems to be sited in my bottom. My GP thinks that could be nerve pain. I have difficulty going up and down stairs. It's 5 months and l was expecting to be almost good as new. Maybe that was a bit silly.

Thanks for your interest Renee

Xxxx

• Posted

good morning lin, 

I know --- a dear friend of mine once told me that : Expectations are building blocks for disappointments ... he might be right ... 

but we are human and will have expectations - I thought I would be further along as well - it is not really pain I feel but stiffness - I read the posts here too and yes, also compare - 

you are not silly - continue to do your best - I don't know what to tell you regarding the nerve pain except for having it checked again - 

easy does it, sweetheart ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Lin, My surgeon said that recovery takes longer if you have a break rather than a planned replacement. We were discussing an ex neighbour who had trouble after breaking her hip whilst mine was planned. All I will say from my experience is that we are all different with recovery rates. With a planned replacement it can take two years for everything to repair such as muscles, I had an infection after mine and didnt feel really well for 6 months. I was off of crtuches by week 5, back at work by week 8, and then I judged my progress byweeks then looking back 3/6 months. I am alomost a year THR and most people who dont know me cannot believe I have had one. Dont despair take each day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.