Weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm trying to lose a few pounds before surgery. How close to my November 15 surgery date can I continue to safely diet?

Thanks,

Jim

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good for you , any weight loss is good, I dieted right up to my op and then as I had no appetite after the op continued to lose more weight . It's been 6 weeks since my op and I haven't put any weight back on, and this all helps with your recovery. Keep it up.

• Posted

Good job on keeping your weight off post op!.Good luck on your recovery!
  • Posted

Hi Jim

I was very concerned with my weight going into surgery, they kind of laughed at me the day of prep at the hospital and told me  " are you kidding we see people lot heavier than you." As well as I am turning 60 Oct 1st and i was never called " youg" as much as I hav been through this process.  Any Dr will tell you the lighter you are the better for joints.  Eat properly, good clen fresh foods, get your protein in and veggies.

All the best Annette " you tube" has great pre op video exercises you do most laying down so do those they really help.

• Posted

I'm concerned with my weight too, Annette. I'm not drastically overweight but I figure if they are willing to put the effort in to help me with the hips, the least I can do is try and help them by losing a little weight.  I'm just concerned about what losing weight just prior to surgery will do to immune systems as well as the rest of the body.  Just wondering if it's safe to diet right up to the surgery? Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I also worked on exercising and diet before my surgery - for about 3 months. My surgeon was supportive but wanted me to privilege protein and immune-friendly vitamin and minerals. I went to a naturopath for recommendations and then reviewed these with my GP. All good but there are a few meds and elements of my diet they wanted me to strictly avoid the 2 weeks prior to my surgery.

Everyone is individual, so see a professional about this (the thr orientation simply reviewed the national food guidelines - not very helpful. I don't recall if Graham's site covered this topic .... maybe check it out (see https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147 and look for Rocketman's profile).

Re exercise - i highly recomend looking for a hydrotherapy centre as the weightlessness reduces impact on your joints but increases the effectiveness of the exercise through the water's resistance).

Good luck and please let us know what you are told.

Linda

• Posted

I dieted right up to the morning of my op.

Difficult to keep it off though as I was not as active as I needed to be, but back to the diet again now.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Rocketman. Hope your great recovery continues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.