I am a newly diagnosed PMR victim (5 days).

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am on 20 mg Prednisone once daily, which I take at about 7:00 AM. The last 2 mornings, the pain in my shoulders, arms, hands wakes me up at 6:00 -AM - pretty severe. It takes almost  4 hours for the meds to kick in. Is this normal? What can I do to wake up pain free? Is there a time-release Prednisone option?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when I was diagnosed a few weeks ago the doctor saw me at a week and adjusted my dose upwards, and it was much better, but I reserve 5mg for 3-5 pm depending on when I eat and take the rest 7am as you do.

this had worked for me, I know others actually take theirs 2-4 am as they prepare for the morning pain. 

I am sure more experienced PMR followers will post their ideas as the day goes on, and you will get invaluable advice, I'm so grateful to this site and the lovely people for helping me, it's very daunting when you are just recently diagnosed. 

I wish you well.

• Posted

How and when to take pred is pretty much different for all of us.    You are in

the best place to get some really good advice.   I'm sure several options will

be posted and you can try and see what works best for you.    Like you

mornings are my worst time of day.   I tried splitting my dose but by

afternoon I was so tired I could hardly move....good luck and let us

know how you do.....

• Posted

Hi Jeniferaz, sorry too heaqr that you have been diagnosed woth PMR . When I was firts diagnosed I was put on 15mg pred and it took 2 weeks before pain dissappeared . So fingers crossed its just taking time to kick in. Hopw you be pain free soon.

• Posted

Jeniferaz, Have you recently reduced your dose? Regards, Tina.
    • Posted

Hi Tina. I just started on Prednisone 5 days ago, 20 ,g once per day. It 

it seems to wear off in the early morning hours. 

• Posted

I split my dose. I take the larger dose in the morning whe I get up and the smaller dose late evening. It works for me but, as has been said, we are all different and it may not work for you. But as you have pain in the morning and you have to wait for the mess to kick in, taking some in the evening might just see you through that morning pain.

Ron

• Posted

"meds to kick in"

• Posted

I split my dose too. I am on 18mg and take 8mg after supper at about 7pm and then 10mg at around 6am. Seems to work for me. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Dont be quick to increase the dose. Give it some time to work. It depends how lont it took to diagnose the PMR and how much inflammation is accumulated. For me (I started at 15mg) it took more then a week to reduce the pain and almost 2 weeks before I could feel that I can move freely.

I also found that by splitting dose, I could control pain much better. I take 1/2 dose as soon as I get up and the other half very late at night ( after midnight, ~ 1am or so). 

• Posted

Thanks Nick! I will definitely give it some time. Splitting the dose seems the best way to go.
  • Posted

Hello Jeniferaz

You need to wait about a week for the Prednisolone to kick in fully. When this happens it will feel like a miracle has happened! You will feel no pain at any time - I know as I have experienced it.

• Posted

I was exactly the same way, about four hours of horrible pain.  I began taking 10mg with breakfast and 10mg with dinner.  It did the trick.  I am now down to 10 mg, so split those 5 and 5.  Today I am going to attemt going down to 7.5, so am planning 5mg with breakfast and half of one at dinner.  I will know in a day or two if that works. I keep reading about pain returning when one goes below 10.  I sure hope not, but only time will tell.  Hope you get some relief.  Donna
    • Posted

Donna, can you reduce by less than 2.5?  If you can start reducing by only 1 mg now that you are at 10 you'll be much more likely to avoid return of pain.  Like you I was fine from 15 to 10, but at 9, late last summer, I felt PMR creeping back.  At that point I discovered this forum and the dead slow method.  Returned to 10 for a few weeks, then started a slow taper to 9.  Mostly uneventful, sometimes slower than other times, but no flares, although I have had some help from alternative therapy and very strict diet!  Now at 3.  Recommendation is never to reduce by more than 10% at a time.  As you get lower you will be dealing not just with possible PMR niggles, but also with fatigue as your adrenal glands start to wake up, around 7.5.  If you don't have 1 mg tablets, could you get some?  That will make the reduction much easier to manage.  If you can only get 5 and 2.5 I think there are others on the forum who've had to deal with same issue, so I know they'll come along with advice.

• Posted

When I was in for my last appointment with the rheumatologist, I told him all that I had read and that I wanted to go down by ones from now on.  He was very insistent that because I also take the methotrexate that it would not be a problem.  Actually, he wants me to go down to 5 begiing this week.  I am refusing to do that as my 5 mg tabs are scored, so I am splitting them in half.  IF I begin having pain, I will stay at the 10 mg per day and call him.  I refuse to be in pain just because he is being stubborn.  I am feeling pretty well now and the fatigue that I was feeling a couple of weeks ago seems to have subsided.  I was even at Disneyland for two days and did very well.  I'll let you know.  Hoping for the best.  Thanks, Donna

• Posted

Sorry, I didn't know, or forgot, you were also on mtx.  In which case you can ignore my advice as I don't know what I'm talking about!

• Posted

LOL  Actually, I think you do know what you are talking about, I just hope the doctor is correct as I sure don't want to go backwards.  So far so good, I want to move forward.  Thanks, Donna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.