Amitripiline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started taking 10 MG of Amitripiline daily for headache/neck pain 9 days ago and it's helped with that , but I feel very sluggish and down as well. Thinking of stopping them. Any advise of how to go about it? Like to avoid any withdrawal effects, but us it necessary at such a low dose and for such a short time?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

No no dont stop. The effects you are feeling are perfectly normal when starting amitriptyline. Everyone is different, but it took 3 months for the effects to wear off me. I have been on 20mg for 2 years now for similar reasons to yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I just spoke to my pharmacist about it . She advised to stop it as I can't continue to feel this way and function safely at my work ( I do some night shifts as well). I have another doctors appt coming up so I'll see if I have a better option then.

• Posted

Oh my gosh, this is a sm. dose. These symptoms will pass. Give it a chance. If in a month you are not feeling better, then a med change might be in order. I have been taking 20mg for 9 yrs. It has helped me with my migrains, and anxiety. The only reason I might ask for a med change, is one of the side effects is sweating,and I take another pill that causes sweating, and I can't change that one. If it is helping with your pain, then give it some time. If you want to come off it,then take a half of one for a week, then a half every other day, a half every 2 days for a week. then stop. You should have no problem.

• Posted

Thanks Kimberly. I will do the slow tapering. I have also noticed that in the last week and a half, I've gained about 4 lbs! I am shocked but realize that weight gain is also a side effect. Anyone else have such rapid weight gain when starting?

• Posted

A sedative effect is one of the side effects of Amitryptiline, make sure to only take it at night not in the morning. 10mg is a very low dose I was on 50mg daily for about 18 years for CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome) not a very well known condition basically it caused me to have bouts of vomiting which could last between 12 to 24 hours sometimes longer and when it first started ( When I was 6) I would end up in hospital on an I.V. because of dehydration, my paediatrician started me on propanolol when I was younger then for a long time I was fine no bouts until I was 17 and thats when he changed me to the amitryptiline which on top of helping my CVS helped me sleep too. My new GP was not happy with the length of time I have been taking it so he has been slowly weaning me off and am now down to 10mg daily. I think just give it time to settle in your system and like I said only take it of a night. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi Sandy,

You might want to ask your MD about Norotripyline 10 mgs. Second generation to Ami. Often prescribed for migraines. . 

• Posted

Hi Be very wary of AMITRYPTALINE it can take a hold on you very quickly, you will feel sluggish all the time & it takes about three weeks to lift your mood as well, they are fantastic pain releivers & very good for ANXIETY & DEPRESSION .

I would personally speak with your Doctor as you definately need help with your pain but,  there are other routes to go down, ask your DOCTOR if you can perhaps go on the happy pill (PROZAC) very light to take without feeling sluggish & lifts your mood & is a much safer pill to take.

Also there are bettter tablets for pain control but, please do your self a favour & do not stay on AMITRYPTALINE they are very addictive.

Take care & speak to your Doctor.

Jackie

• Posted

Thank you for the helpful info Jacqueline. I did stop them last night. So far feel better except for abit of stomach pain and loose stools thus morning. I don't like that I felt do weepy and sluggish on that med. I'll manage the pain another way. I am a nurse and have to do night shifts for time to time so I defiantly would not have been able to function safety on that med.

• Posted

Thanks for all your helpful input everyone. I called the pharmacist last night and she said it was OK to just stop them as it was so short a time frame and low dose which I did last night. Feel okay today except gor stomach discomfort and looser stools this morning. Wondering if anyone else experienced rapid weight gain when on this med. I've gained 4 lbs in a week and a half! Feeling very bloated and heavy.😕

• Posted

Hello Sandy , I put on over five stone over 20yrs of being on AMITRYPTALINE.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello Sandy, YES it is true I put on over five stone from being on Amitryptaline, it is well known that this drugs makes a person put on tremendous amounts of weight, I asked my Consultant when I was first put on Amitryptaline PLEASE TAKE ME OFF THEM as I am putting on weight weekly, HE SAID NO, so, that was that , put up with it & if I did put on weight , TOO BAD.

That was my very kind Consultant at the time, I have been trying to get a DOCTOR to assist me to come off them , my new DOCTOR listened to me & immediately started to assist me in coming off them , that was about 11 weeks ago now.

My Doctor also told me that AMITRYPTALINE is not a good drug as we age.

Take Care Jackie

• Posted

Wow I had no idea that was a side effect, I have been on Amitryptiline (50mg daily) since I was about 16 or 17 (am 37 now), I have put on a stack of weight since then, my new GP is currently weaning me off them as he was not happy with how long I have been on it and I have lost about 10 or 11kg so far and likely need to lose another 30kg.

Thanks for the info.

• Posted

Hello Becky, so very pleased that you are weaning yourself off this very addictive drug with all of the terrible side effects.

Amitryptaline is a very strong drug & have very good benifits, but long term does have its problems,

Mine was weight gain  , plus my Bladder was not working properly after all of the years being on this drug.

I have only come to realise this since coming off AMITRYPTALINE 11 weeks ago, I now pass urine very frequently 5 or 6 times per day plus sometimes twice during the night, but, I had Kidney Disease diagnosed 3 yrs ago & very swollen ankles, my Kidneys are now working fully & my swollen ankles have gone down.

Water retention is also a known fact with taking this drug, I am so glad I am off it, it causes immence harm to our bodies long term.

Take Care on your journey, even though it may be hard, Please do not give up , you will feel better for it once you are finished taking Amitryptaline.

Jackie

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.