Are my yellow nail a cause for concern? Picture included

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my nail edges look yellow. I've heard that yellow nails can be indicative of health problems. I also have yellow toenails but I went to the dermatologist and she said I had a toenail fungus. I was prescribed terbinafine for my toenails and have been on it for a week. But she didn't really check my finger nails. My nails have been like that for a while though. Also when I trim my fingernails I've noticed that more of the nail bed is exposed as if the nail edge has extended backwards. If that makes sense? Please help!

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/YoYo12345/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfv04swpo.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0[/b]

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming that your dermatologist prescribed oral terbinafine. In that case, your whole body will be permeated with the drug and any possible nail fungus affecting your finger nails will be treated as well.

Nevertheless, you should be very careful to avoid spreading the infection from your toe nails to your finger nails (or other people). Keep a separate set of scissors, clippers, files, (and/or brushes) for your infected nails and also disinfect the tools after use.

Having looked at the photo you posted I do not think that it is a fungal infection.

The yellow discolouration is evenly spread across your finger nails. It seems very unlikely that you infected all your finger nails at the same time and to the same degree. 

Only the top edges of your nails are yellow. Nail fungus tends to not only discolour the nail but make it brittle and your nails seem smooth. When you trim your finger nails do they crumble or snap off with a sharp line? 

Have you handled some chemicals, colourant, or detergent that might affect the colour of your nails?

• Posted

I don't think so. I usually use clorax wipes daily so I don't know if that has something to do with it?

• Posted

Hi David, yellow nails can be one symptom of a health problem.  When I saw a dermatologist with my yellow nails, she didn't know what was wrong & guessed at a fungal infection. Fortunately, she got the head of the dept. in for a 2nd opinion and I was asked if I'd had a cough, sinusitis and were my ankles swollen. I answered yes to all 3 and she told the first dermatologist that I had Yellow nail syndrome and she had only ever seen it once before as it is so rare. If you do have a persistent cough, frequent sinusitis and swelling of your ankles, then maybe ask for a second opinion. There are lots of causes of yellow nails but it is the other symptoms which you need to be aware of.

• Posted

I constantly have a stuffy nose and mucos running down my throat. Should I be worried?
    • Posted

Do you have a cough? I should ass that YNS is classed as extremely rare and does require sinusitis, lymphoedema (swollen ankles) and bronchiectasis (persistent cough) to be present for the diagnosis. If this sounds like you, a word with your GP for another consultation to a respiratory consultant might find out for you. A CT scan of your lungs would show any bronchiectasis if you do have a cough all the time. My GP was treating me for 'all year' hay fever before my diagnosis as it took a couple of years for all three conditions to develop.

• Posted

No I don't have a cough or swollen ankles. But does YNS start at the cuticle because my nail beds seem unaffected.

• Posted

My nails were normal but turned white (as though anaemic) and then the whole nail became yellow. The toe nails started before the fingers and the toe nails became thichened too. The yellow colour and thickening with YNS is due to the extremely slow nail growth. The nail growth can become so slow that the nails become detached and drop off - more often the 2 big toes, thumbs and forefingers. I would say that in my case, the whole nail became affected.
    • Posted

How long did it take for this to happen? Most of my toenails are yellow and some seem detached/thick under the nail. They have been like that for over a year. I just recently went to a dermatologist who thinks it's a toenail fungus. Could she have misdiagnosed?

• Posted

My nails changed over a period of about a year but I had the cough and runny nose for about a year before any nail change and the ankle swelling for about 6 months prior to the nail change. I won't  question the diagnosis of your dermatologist. Without a cough, swollen ankles and constantly infected sinuses any YNS diagnosis wouldn't be obvious at all. There are many causes of discoloured/thickened nails and your GP/dermatologist are the best people to do the necessary tests.

• Posted

Hmm ok thank you! I do have a congested nose all the time and mucos runs down my throat too. But hopefully they are not related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.