Are these symptoms typical of IBS and GERD

Posted , 10 users are following.

So i've had Acid reflux for 7 months, stomach problems for 5 

the issues are daily and my symptoms consist of

- Constant, excessive burping

- Soft, Sticky, Messy stools often 

- A burning type of discomfort in the abdomen which is often relived by the passing of the soft, sticky, messy stool

- Heartburn

- Acid reflux (a burning sour taste in my throat)

- Occasional upper abdomen pain

- recurring bouts of diarrhea

I've had 2 stool samples a blood test and a colonoscopy, all coming back clear.

I was placed on PPI's which have helped with the sour burning taste from the acid reflux and it has eliminated the hearburn 

The diarrhea is less often because i've changed up diet and eliminated foods that made it worse 

However im still suffering with the constant excessive burping which is only helped by laying down. While the diarrhea is less common now i still get the weird burning sensation in my stomach that usually dissapears when i pass stool, and those stools are 95% of the time soft, messy and sticky

Are these common for IBS and GERD? my biggest concern is the fact that the burping is still persistant even after using PPI medication

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your symptoms are typical of IBS specially with the heartburn. Burping is part of it too.   Food intolerance is also common. Maybe ask your doctor for a different antacid medication.    Do you have stomach pain that moves about and changes in type and intensity? Have you been diagnosed with IBS?

I started with constipation and then messy stools.  Now I'm back to constipation.  I have constant stomach pain, heartburn and occasional back ache.  I was diagnosed with IBS.

• Posted

Yeah my stomach pains would usually start at the upper part of my abdomen and then they would progress lower and lower usually with loud gut noises, eventually i'd feel that burning sensation that causes me to go toilet and pass the stools 

I had 2 doctors say its most likely IBS im suffering with after my colonoscopy was clear 

• Posted

You could try Buscopan for the cramps and avoid fizzy drinks and gassy foods like cabbage, broccoli and Brussel sprouts.
    • Posted

I'll give that ago, i do notice the burping is worse when i have a fizzy drink but its still bad when i dont either 

• Posted

This is the trouble with IBS.  Sometimes it makes no difference what you do,
  • Posted

Hi again Sam. Did you ask about being tested for SIBO as i suggested on a previous post you made? x
    • Posted

I did not! I'm currently being referred for an Endoscopy and if that comes back clear and my symptoms persist i'll be sure to ask the doctor about it!

• Posted

That's good Sam. when is your endoscopy booked for? Definately ask about the SIBO test, it's the burping & bloating that stands out to me from that tv programme i saw with a man who had it. x

• Posted

Im just waiting for the letter to come through the post to book an appointment so im not sure when the actual date will be.

Im considering buying some probiotics and see if they make a difference, do you think this could be a good idea?

• Posted

Hi Sam. i researched probiotics quite a bit beginning of last year. many of them don't let enough of the good bacteria get to the part of the gut before dying off, but there are 2 in particular that DO, & have been proven to do so. I will send you a private message about them so you can look up yourself & decide if you want to try them. i can't remember if i told you along the way in our discussions on here, but i have : bile acid malabsorption (treated with prescription meds), fructose malabsorption (can't eat fruit, juices, or foods containing fructose - managed by diet alone), colitis (prescription meds) & ibs-d(managed with diet & quality daily probiotic. I'm also currently having investigations at hosp with small bowel now, as despite all the above being "clinically" under control, i'm off sick with awful symtpoms very much like colitis without the bleeding, & my recent calprotectin stool test measured high for inflammation. i find the probiotic i started last july, helps my ibs quite a bit in reduction of ibs type cramps, & bloating. I've also found since being on it, I've had far less colds in last 12mths - only 1, compared to 3 or 4 normally, so although it's not cheap, i feel enough benefit from it to continue using it daily. x

• Posted

My doctor told me that my IBS and Gerd went hand in hand. I have nocturnal reflux while I sleep. Burning throat with sensation of lump,wheezing,cpugh and chest pain from it. No hiccups though. But your symptoms do seem to match up with IBS and Gerd. If you have not had proper exams then you need to. If for nothing else...peace of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.