Severe upper abdominal pain comes in waves with nausea

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am out of town on business but am in desperate need of help/advice! I will get straight to the point. I have always suffered with nausea my whole life; it comes and goes but rarely escalates to vomiting. Well last night it got the point that I had to vomit and it was very projectile-like! I felt relief for about 5 minutes but as I went to lie down I was hit with extreme severe pain in my upper abdomen and my rib cages right below my breasts. It could barely breathe, my vision was even impaired from the pain, my whole body went into a sweat, I was shaking, the pain was truly unbearable! This lasted about 5-7 minutes then subsided. I immediately started salivating like crazy, still felt sick to my stomach but didn’t have to throw up again. I actually spit up a little blood (very, very little). Then not even 5 minutes later, BOOM! Here the pain comes again. Exact same spot, upper abdomen radiating to the sides of my ribs under my breasts and a little in my back but not very much.  The pain was unbearable. I tried moving my body in all typed of positions to see how to get comfortable but nothing worked, I had to just wait for it to pass. And after a few minutes it did. But this whole process repeated about 5 times last night lasting about 2 hours total.  My stomach feels so tender and bloated. I am hungry but terrified to eat because I don’t want to trigger another episode! Is this acute pancreatitis? I have done a little research and it seems to be the only symptoms that match. I know I shouldn’t self-diagnose but, that’s why I joined this thread. I am away on business, and if this pain comes back I will have to go to ER because I cannot deal with the pain again. But if this is acute pancreatitis, and I can do a liquid diet until I get home in 2 days then see my doctor I would rather try to do that.  Please, any advice I will be so very grateful. Thank you!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't know why my reply was moderated, maybe because I mentioned a product? I said gallstones sounds more likely & to eat something with very little fat & see how that goes. The thing I mentioned was a kind of vinegar acv and I said you should try some and see if it offers relief.

• Posted

Hi sarah 1863

A friend of mine had the same symptoms as you describe and was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia...ask your doc to be tested for it. Do you think something you ate last night may have kicked it off?. Best wishes...

• Posted

Oh babe I really feel for you. I am a long time sufferer of chronic pancreatitis and I am telling you yea you maybe could las o

But do I think that you should? No get to the e.r if only to make sure that you are not dehydrated,if you have been suffering from the same symptoms then maybe you are also a chronic pancreatitis patient too!

• Posted

Sarah, I just saw what I said in print and I didn't mean for It to sound so welcome to the club!. I am just seeing my self in your symptoms and I know that you can do a couple of days just on fluids but if you are buying about you will end up collapsing! take good care of yourself and go to the e.r .

• Posted

Hi Sarah Just want to second the go to the e.r. They will do blood test to see if liver enzimes are up. Pain in upper abdomen and sides and back sounds like gallbladder attack. I had it and is very painful. You can throw up and break out in a sweat and feel very weak. They can ultrasound your gallbladder as well. So its not invasive testing. But you really need to get checked out by Doc. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,  I have attacks late evening it starts 
    • Posted

Hi sarah, ive been having simalar pain as you, mine always happen in the evening, it starts with an aching in the small of my back, then half an hour later the pains go across the upper part of my stomach, i can honestly say it feels like labour pains, i feel sick and gag then it eases off, but it lasts for an hour, my doctor upped my lanzoprazol to 30mg in morning & 30 mg at nite which have helped it, iam going for camera down from throat 1st september, which i am not looking forward to, had it done 18 years ago.. i have got ibs/ diverticulitis/ hiatus hernia, been to a&e with the above pain they said it was upper stomach, let me know how you get on. Take care.  chinney

• Posted

Hey, Sarah. I know this post is nearly a year old, but I have experienced the exact same thing. However, I wanted to add that I actually started having the pain AFTER my gall bladder was removed due to sludge. It happens every 5-6 months and is absolutely unbearable. I get all shaky and sweaty and have to sit in the fetal position to try and will it to calm down. It then inevitably comes back in about 10 minutes or less.

The first time it happened, I went to the ER and they did a CAT scan and a million other tests to figure out what it was, but no dice. Quite the bill, though. :-(

ANYWAY! Just wanted to pop in and mention that I was having the same pain without my gall bladder, so I would lean toward a different diagnosis.

• Posted

Hey Ann I know this was posted 6 months ago but my partner has recently had her gall bladder removed for the exact same reason And what you described is what she is enduring at the moment the pain is still occurring was wondering if you have found a solution to the pain or a diagnosis ? because it is becoming frustrating for the both of us and I really want to get her help thankyou 
    • Posted

I actually have an upcoming appointment with a gastroenterologist to try and find a diagnosis/solution. I will update you afterwards! Best of luck with your partner. I know how difficult it is.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply, and great that would be awesome keep me updated much appreciated and good luck.
    • Posted

Chucky 7 7 7 you are my new God that is exactly what's wrong with me and I've had the hardest time getting it diagnosed and that's the only thing you could be! I don't get the attacks often but every once in awhile I'll get one here there or I'll get one a day for a week or two and then I don't have them for months and months and all of my doctors told me I was best thank you thank you thank you at least I have something to go on now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.