Upcoming anaesthesia

Posted , 5 users are following.

It looks as if I may have to have surgery under general anaesthesia at some point. I know the anaesthetic is normally administered by IV injection, but is it possible to be put to sleep with gas instead?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've had a fair few operations and have had IV anaethesia for them all, I'm not sure if gas if used tbh, is it that you fear the needle?  I have a fear of the operating theatre, but if you talk to your consultant and the theatre staff they will help you along, I'm fine now as long as they let me see what is going on and even to the point that I can feel the liquid going up my arm, albeit for a second or two before I'm asleep.

• Posted

Thank you for this very helpful reply. I'm not particularly scared of the needle, in fact I have had a few operations, always with IV anaesthesia, and it has never been a problem. I just saw in a leaflet by the Royal College of Anaesthetists that people can choose to have gas instead of IV injection, and I wondered if anyone had made this choice and how they found it. But I daresay that if I have to have the operation I'll just go along with what they suggest. Thanks again for your reply, and I hope you don't have any further trips to the operating theatre.

• Posted

It is easy to send you to sleep with gas. We sometimes do it but we prefer not to because IV induction is much smoother, quicker and more pleasant for the patient. I hope you've had it now. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply so helpfully. Luckily what felt as if it might be a hernia turned out not to be one, so the question didn't come up.

• Posted

Did you have general anesthesia? What was your experience? I might have a Cystoscope test where they check the bladder. I think there's an option for partial or general anesthesia. Have you heard of partial sedation or twilight sleep?

Michelle

Merry Christmas

• Posted

I didn't need to have an operation, in fact. I've had general anaesthesia before and in fact it has always worked perfectly well: IV injection, soon followed by complete unconsciousness. I've had sedation too a few times, and it doesn't feel very different: if anything it feels a bit more like natural sleep and the feeling of grogginess afterwards doesn't last so long. I hope that your procedure goes well, whichever option you go for. Best wishes for 2017.

• Posted

I've had both. When I was a kid I had the gas and that really didn't sit well with me after walking up in recovery. Made me so sick for a little while after.

And 7 months ago I had the iv injections they are so much better. Woke up feeling like a million bucks. The first thing I did after I woke up was go down to me for court and got a Burger lol.

• Posted

I had gas a few times as a child and felt a bit woozy on coming round, but not sick, I think. I'm glad the IV worked well for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.