Swollen knee after THR last Friday

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my second THR last Friday and everything is going well. My only concern is that my knee is quite swollen. I am taking diuretics and wearing compression stockings. Has anyone any advice please?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Swelling is just part of the course unfortanetly. I was swollen from the stomach down to my feet. My legs were 3x the size they normally are.

Ice packs and moving around as much as possible even though its difficult at this stage. Stay strong x

• Posted

Thank you Sarah. I have been quite active, but will do more.
  • Posted

Hi, gwen, I have the same problem had my hip done last Wednesday my knee to hip swells up during the day, and I am on blood thinning tabs and the awful compression stockings, personally think it's because my physio told me not to use recliner chair to put feet up so I take to my bed in an afternoon as lying down seems to help only for an hour or so.  Keep me posted what tips others send you.  My walking is very good and already can manage with only one stick in house. Ann from york

• Posted

Elevating your leg is the best advice. I was really swollen too and thought I was elevating my leg but I really wasn't. You need to elevate your leg higher than your heart. When I finally started doing that (advice I got on this forum) my swelling started to go down big time....and the ice was great too. I am 4 weeks today and still ice when I overdo it. Swelling stopped by the end of week 2. Good luck...everything they say here is true, it really takes time and patience

• Posted

Hi Gwen I am 2 weeks post op of RHR and had LHR done in 2014. I would say take it easy and don'tdo too much walking about. Exercises little and often and relax in the early days. Mine get swollen at night though not as bad now. Bed early packet of frozen peas and gone down by the morning. I am normally a 100 miles an hour person but these ops have taught me one thing and that is take it slowly and listen to what your body is telling you. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I didn't have any of this with my first hip op so it is very worrying.

I will definitely heed the advice and let you know how it goes.

They say no two operations are the same!

• Posted

I came home yesterday after having bilateral hip replacements last Tuesday. As I live in a 1st floor maisonette I had ambulance home with 2 guys to carry me up in a chair. My legs are both swollen from the tips of my toes to my waist. It is very painful and feels as though my skin could burst at times. I have yet to try elevation and ice packs. This I will do today. Good luck with your recovery Gwen.

DeeAnne

• Posted

Wow, DeeAnne! My problem seems so small against what you are having to endure. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you a speedy recovery. You are an extremely brave lady xx
  • Posted

hi gwen, 

yeah, well, no 2 surgeries are the same - I exprienced it the other way around - Post-op 1st THR (right) major swelling for a couple of weeks - no wonder when you think how forcefully hip joint had to be dislocated etc ...

so with 2nd THR I asked the surgeon to handle me with care ... maybe he did or not, but no swelling ....

I can't imagine having to wear those compression stockings though .. doesn' that make it worse ???  Fortunately I didn't need them ...

elevate and ice seems to be the advice .....

how are you getting on otherwise?

again, try not to compare 1st with 2nd surgery - but I know you will ...

be gentle with Gwen okay - she just had major surgery - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you renee. I made a point of keeping my leg raised on pillows all night. We have to sleep on our backs anyway so it's no more uncomfortable.

The swelling had subsided a little by this morning so that put my mind at rest. As to the compression stockings, the temperature here at the moment is around 40 degrees Celsius and having legs clad in thick nylon is no walk in the park! 😕 but I endure it because that's what we're told to do but it's interesting to know that you didn't have to wear them. Why was that?

Apart from all that, I'm getting on really well. My pace is getting faster and I can lift my leg more each day.

Hugs to you renee xx

• Posted

hi gwen, 

yeah, well, no 2 surgeries are the same - I exprienced it the other way around - Post-op 1st THR (right) major swelling for a couple of weeks - no wonder when you think how forcefully hip joint had to be dislocated etc ...

so with 2nd THR I asked the surgeon to handle me with care ... maybe he did or not, but no swelling ....

I can't imagine having to wear those compression stockings though .. doesn' that make it worse ???  Fortunately I didn't need them ...

elevate and ice seems to be the advice .....

how are you getting on otherwise?

again, try not to compare 1st with 2nd surgery - but I know you aill ...

be gentle with Gwen okay - she just had major surgery -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

My goodness lucky you not having to wear the awful compression socks they are driving me crazy.  Had on for one week now three more weeks to go actually stopping me from sleeping as well.  It's a puzzle why some patients have to wear socks some do not.  My new hip leg keeps swelling up all day it's a relief to get into bed, anymore of you out there with tips.

• Posted

I don't know Ann - but when I asked for bloodthinner in pill form  instead of dreaded injections when post-op from 2nd THR, he just said "NO" !!!

go figure

you are still so early in your recovery - swelling is normal, as you probably know by now -

do what you can and listen to your body --- stop when it hurts -- there is no gain in pain after THr surgery 

angel blessings

• Posted

Hi renee, I have been given blood thinner in tablet form lucky me cos I was used to injecting animals when I was a vet nurse but not myself bit of a coward.  Knee not quite so bad today as went to lie on my bed twice yesterday, today mad house as kennels brought my pug back home she is wondering what is going on with all the sticks.take care
    • Posted

awww. ...she must have missed you. ....

take care ann. ...easy does it. ...

angel blessings

renee 💙

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.