What does Full Weight Bearing actually mean?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it walking without cruthes, maybe with some boot on?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took it as walking around without crutches.  Walking with a boot would count in my book.
  • Posted

Hi  it means you can stand with you full weight on that foot with or with a boot.  However when they first say that it can be painful and you may or may not be limping it just means its a green light to weight bear.
    • Posted

just another thought ....when i reached the point of being able to fully weight bear they recommended that i wear the boot for a wee off and on  while  my leg ankle strengthened in particular outside the home but to start walking as able inside and on flat ground.   You feel a bit guarded incase someone bumps you so when out shopping the first wee while i kept the boot on for support then took it off as soon as i got home.
    • Posted

When did you start FWB? Actual if you don't mind me asking what was your  rehabilitation protocol? Also were you operative or conservative. 

The orthopedatic has said I can FWB after just 3week of the rupture. That sounds crazy, I'm quite scared about it.

I don't know how putting weight pressure would not over stress the tendon? 

• Posted

Yes I too was very nervous about walking without boot. I am just over 5 weeks now. When I saw the ortho at 4 week and he told me to start to weight bare which I felt I was ready and have been doing anyway but when he said 2 more weeks in boot and then can remove al together, that was a bit scary.

I will be wearing boot when I am out of the house for a few more weeks I think just until I feel more comfortable and a little stronger.

• Posted

Hi My injury was... torn calf muscle, two partial archilles tears with a possible third mid tear(they couldnt see on the ultrasound as there was blood there but they said the blood in that area indicated another possible partial mid tear.. I went in to a cast for six weeks with toe pointing.  Pointing cast means the archilles is shorter and heals ie no surgery.  Then i think because i had been set like that so long i had to go into a moon boot at a certain angle degree then they slowly increased the degree to back to near normal setting partly due i think to the need to re-stretch the tendon plus the stiffness from being set with toes pointing so long and i cant remember how long that took now.  After that i went to physio twice a week to get the ankle and leg moving then on a physio strengthening program.  I sure didnt walk after four weeks of a rupture but each injury is different. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.