Does this sound like gastroparesis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Food seems to sit in my stomach for many hours, sometimes all day. This has been going on since February 2015. The severity varies and seems to get worse with stress. Sugary foods and grains also seem to make it worse. I don't get nausea, and the only time I vomit is if I have to make myself because I can't handle the pain. If I do vomit the food comes up seemingly dry and in the order that I ate it, and this is many hours after eating. It's also very hard for me to vomit. It's as if my stomach doesn't want to push out the food. The last time I had to make myself vomit it took about half an hour and probably fifty attempts of gagging myself before I finally threw up enough to get some relief. I often feel like my stomach is not only full, but that there is also pressure at the top of it. Sometimes after many hours of feeling this full pressure I will feel what is apparently gas begin to move through my intestines. As this happens the feeling in my stomach will begin to subside. I've tested positive for SIBO, but haven't been able to get relief from that yet. I've also had an endoscopy and an upper and lower GI, niether of which showed any irregularities. Oddly, although the barium moved through my system at a normal pace, I still got the gassy, full, pressure feeling in stomach from it. My doctor didn't have any answers and just suggested that I puree my food. But food can't get much more pureed than mashed potatoes, and even those make me feel full for hours. I've have lost a ton of weight and I'm about to start a liquid diet. I could really use some insight on this matter.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dont eat masshed potatoes . They are heavy. Try sweet potatoes, applesauce, cook chicken on water and season with turmeric,fish cook in oven, no salty food, sugary or fried food. When comes to fruit I eat only one banana per day, vegetables - sweet potatoes and squash. I eat fat free probiotic yogurts and kefir and sour cream . Little bit of bread (2 sloces per day, and white eggs). Trust me I tried everything and I had pain , same like yours. This food fits me . Deink ginger with tea ( it helps a lot!!!). Try IBGuard too( pepermint oil capsules). Have real honey and when you have that pain , massage your stomach ( start big circles and go close to your belly button) with a little bit of olive oil . Cook only with olive oil and avoid fatty food. Hope this will help you but dont get stressed out and you are not the only one . I have same thing and this remedies helped me .
  • Posted

Gastroparesis can be tested painfree at nuclear medicine, if you have access to it.

Then you know for sure.

Please try not to make yourself sick so often and so forceful (50 attempts), it can lead to a habit, that will be hard to stop.

You need to experiment with food, what makes you feel better, what not.

Write it down please since I find it always very hard to remember backwards.

My daughter has gastroparesis,

the food comes out by itself and often hours after eating at a point with fresh blood.

We had a month of liquid diet due to strong emesis loosing weight.

At a point she simply got sick of being liquid food only (soup like) and started to experiement from crackers to zucchini, but always stayed very well hydrated,

always drank BEFORE a meal so the liquid would go through if not the rest.

Self juiced veg/fruit juices go down well and pass quickly which is a relief to me getting some nutrients in.

Rice and potatoe seem for her much harder to digest than pasta and caused vomiting in a horrid paste form.

Also we trialed with digestive enzymes capsules and still add them, have you tried those?

Food can get by far mor pureed than mashed potatoes since the whole composition of the food is different and you also can keep it more liquid than mashed potatoe, which would make it easier to bring it back up if needed.

Good luck, 

hopefully you can address your SIBO successfully and get a better digestion.

The stomach can play up, if something in the guts is wrong and not working, it's one system.

• Posted

Hi Caddo

You should definitely change your diet...go gluten free, lactose free, wheat free, sugar free and caffeine free...also take probiotics and multivitamins and plenty of water....you can get ranges of these 'free from" foods in well known supermarkets.....you will notice a change in your digestion after a few weeks check with your doc before you make these changes, but i'm sure he/she will be all for it as mine was........best wishes....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.