Random sharp pinches/throbbing pain at the back of the head.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Briefing: I'm scheduled to have an MRI soon, but would like some insights on what I may be suffering from. I also had a blood test recently which came out fine with no abnormalities, however, I'm beginning to become anxious of what this pain may be.

Location of Pain: Back of my head on the left side, at a position opposite my left eye. The area where I feel this pain is within the red box in the uploaded picture.

Duration of Pain: Been suffering for the past 2 months.

Details: Sometimes I feel a sharp painful pinch that's always at the same spot. Sometimes it feels like a throb, but nonetheless it's painful enough to make me clench the area for relief and make me space out for just a slight moment. Once the pain starts occurring it seems like head movements, maybe even eye movements, seem to trigger the pain. When I'm not in pain, I feel great. When I feel the pain, my mood goes down completely as I pray it does not happen again.

Timing of Pain: It's unpredictable, although, the pain did occur for 2 hours today when I started sobbing over a depressing life event. The pain always lasts for less than a second. Sometimes the pain only occurs once and stops. However, sometimes it may even recur at random intervals for several minutes. This pain appears to be happening at least once every 1-2 days.

What helps: While laying down, I massage and apply pressure at the area of pain, it seems to slow down the frequency of the pains most of the time.

Other Symptoms: Infrequent sinus headaches; my sinus inside my nose has been pretty inflamed for the past summer and my other sinuses such as those behind my cheek and eyebrowns feel slightly pressured. My left eye seems a little blurred, but it's been like that for a while.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried using menthol crystals in hot water with your head over the bowl see if you can unblock sinuses
    • Posted

I should add..

I suspect your MRI will be negative (fingers crossed!), so ask for flexion/extension and lateral views of your neck by plain old x-ray.

Maybe see an osteopath. Don't let anyone do rapid manipulation of your neck.

• Posted

soory ment to be to BOB
    • Posted

Menthol Crystals seem like a pretty good idea. Thanks! I'll try it out when I can.

• Posted

Certainly! Thanks for the tip!

There was one time I went to the ENT, he performed some neck excercises with my head which involved rapid twisting and dropping in elevation. Not sure if he was able to determine anything from that but my neck felt pretty achey afterward. 

• Posted

He was not performing neck exercises, he was attempting to see if your middle ear was involved. This is the Dix-Hallpike maneuver.
    • Posted

oops, inner ear
  • Posted

Hey.

Google SUBOCCIPITAL TRIANGLE. This region of the neck has a variety of structures tha produce a pain syndrome as you are describing. Not always due to the same reason.

Sometimes it is just tight muscles, sometimes a repeated movement,sometimes the way your neck is built and a course of maintained physio may help.

I have a C1 restriction, or so I'm told, caused by when I hit the car dashboard as a kid in the 60's (no seatbelts for us!). Pain started in my early 30's exactly where you are showing. The interesting (?) thing for me, is that the neck pain plays of a separate facial pain I have called trigeminal neuralgial. It is behind the eye in the V2 distribution of the fifth cranial nerve.

The reason for the interplay is because the C1 nerve and the facial nerve nuclei in the brainstem apparently are closely placed. 

Perhaps the same is occuring for you? At least why the C1 region is felt behind the eye? Ask the neurologist.

Hope that helped. Best therapy I have had for my neck has been botox. Covered by my insurance as it also decreases the facial pain.

• Posted

Wow, I'm impressed you were able to determine the exact event that caused you the pain all the way from when you were a kid! It certainly does seem like it has something to do with the neck, the pain does feel more like a nerve or muscle issue.

When it started in the early 30's for you, did the pain eventually go away on it's own?

• Posted

Ummm, sorry, this will not be an inspirational story. The injury , whiplash, caused scarring to slowly form in the joint where my skull first meets the vertebral column at C1. This can be seen in the flexion/extension x-ray ,in that , there is no movement at this joint.  I would love to tell you that 20 years later I am all better , but no. I have found the Osteopath and the botox the best to manage my pain. 

But that is my story in that region, I was only pointing out that it is a common area for neck pain, especially if the muscles get tight and squeeze the nerve, the pain radiates in the back of the head and can affect the area behind the eye.

• Posted

When you think about your pain, think about your life. Do you sit at a desk where you look from screen to desk and back again repeatedly? Do you work in trades, where you might holdyour neck in an odd position? Did you have any old neck injuries? Hockey? Rugby? Football? Bike? Sometimes, untill you yourself , really sitdown and think about what makes it better? What makes it worse? you won't have the answers ready when the doctor asks. I find the doctors too ready to order tests and not take enough history.

At least most.

• Edited

Hi there!

It has been a few years and hopefully you are well. I am currently experiencing the same thing. Did you find out what exactly the problem was? If so, what was it and how did you treat it?

Would love to hear back from you soon! Have a great day 😃

• Posted

i know i am 4yrs late, but do you know what's wrong with you.

bcs I have the same symptoms

• Posted

did you find out what happened my 9 year old is experiencing this and its breaking my heart

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.