Blocked tear duct and scared for possible surgery?other way to heal it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a blocked tear duct and I looked it up about it and surgery was one of the options. I'm terrified of hospitals and have never had surgery. But I woke up today and it was inflamed and it wasmy yesterday (when it started). I'm scared I'll have to get surgery. I just want this gone. It's so irritating and hurts. How can I get this to go away?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i had reconstruction surgery on my tear ducts because mine run constantly ,

sometimes all they have to do is put plugs in which they do in the office.  please go see about it it is not bad and sometimes just drops will work.

• Posted

The only 2 symptoms I'm having are the inflanation and "pus" but the pus only really happened when I cried out of complete fear of surgery. I'm going to the doctor next week

• Posted

Have you actually seen a doctor yet?  An Ophthalmologist wouldn't tell you you had a blocked tear duct & send you away without doing something about it.

It could be that you have Blepharitis & once that is under control & any infection that may have developed, your eyes will feel much more comfortable.

https://patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/red-eye

There are 2 leaflets for you to have a look at.

Try soaking a face cloth in hot water & placing it over your eyes and then cleaning the rims of your eyelids.  You may find this helps.  You could also buy a bottle of artificial tears which might make your eyes more comfortable.

Let us know how you get on with your Doctor next week.  Good luck.

• Posted

I Googled why it felt like I had a black eye and blocked tear duct came up. It did feel like I hadid had black eye but it didn't look like it. I'm going to the doctor Tuesday and the person on the phone said to talk advil and use a warm compress until then. I used one last night

• Posted

It could be anything.  My eye feels bruised when I have a flare up of uveitis.  Sometimes it is red but not always  but, a lot of these things can be treated with drops.

Try not to worry & see what your doctor says.  Use the compress night & morning & have it quite hot.

Let me know how you get on on Tuesday.

• Posted

Are you sure this is a blocked tear duct or just a stye?     This would explain the pus. Try using hot compresses on it to relieve the pus problem Sometimes these just heal up by themselves but sometimes you need antibiotics if you get them frequently.  
    • Posted

I looked up why it felt like a black eye but no bruises and blocked tear duct came up. I had 2 of the symptoms. The only "pus" I had when I cried out of fear of surgery and that may have been just the normal eye gunk when I wake up being flushed from crying. I've been taking advil for the pain and pm using a hit compress before I go to sleep and while I sleep. It helps. I'm hoping just antibiotics will heal it.

• Posted

as you said"blocked tear duct" I assume it is on the lower lid near the nose. If this is the case it could be either a blocked tear duct or a stye as they can look very similar. Hope it sorts itself out soon. Keep using the compresses.   

• Posted

Yes, lower lid, close the the corner near the nose. I've been taking advil and using compress at night. It feels bigger in the morning but it's not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.