Terrible trouble sleeping---use of pillows

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my THR almost three weeks ago and physically I'm doing really well. I don't need sticks for walking although, of course,  I do use them for the stairs. 

The big problem I have is lack of sleep and after nearly three weeks it's beginning to really catch up on me. I find it very difficult to sleep on my back and if I'm lucky I might get 2/3 hours of sleep a night--as a result, I'm so tired during the day and actually dread going to bed at night!

When I left hospital the PT told me to sleep on my back for 6 weeks and if it was comfortable I could sleep on my operated side. Unfortunately, it's still too sore to sleep on that side so I'm now hoping to find a way to sleep on my "good" side.

Reading through the posts on this excellent forum it appears some of you have found ways to use a combination of pillows to make it safe to sleep on the good side but I'm very nervous to try because of the risk of discolation.

Does anyone have first hand experience of doing this successfully---or even the use of the purpose made slumber support mentioned in a couple of posts.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had problems sleeping after my THR (posterior).  I was told to sleep on my good side with a pillow between my legs.  I was told I could sleep on my back, but I cannot sleep that way.  I am not the best sleeper in general.  I listened to music to help me sleep.  I was told NOT to sleep on my operated hip.

I told my surgeon about my sleep issues and he suggested some over the counter medications.

I was 4 weeeks on Monday.  My sleep has improved in the last 10 days or so.

Good Luck biggrin

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks post op...of getting sleep was a nightmare. ..but for the last 2 weeks I've been sleeping on my good side which was replaced June 2015...sometimes I sleep on my back with a pillow under my legs. Every day I wake up excited about what's going to be easier today. I'm amazed at how things change from day to day..

You will improve soon so keep being patient.

• Posted

Hi Rich

It's really strange how different surgeons/PT's give different instructions on sleeping on our sde. My PT insisted I sleep on my back or my operated side but definitely not my good side.

I've now taken further advice and been given clearance to sleep on my good side with a pillow between my legs.

• Posted

I agree regarding the different surgeon/p/t advice.

Maybe some of the difference in advice is based on where the surgeons/p/t are trained.

I mentioned in another post that my surgeon this time told me 12 weeks of precautions  whereas the last time (same surgeon) said 7 weeks of precautions ???  Kind of strange !!!!

• Posted

Hi Don, I also struggled to sleep on my back. I am now 3 weeks post-op TLHR posterior. When I saw my consultant at 2 weeks post-op he said I could do whatever I felt comfortable doing, including sleeping on either side as long as I placed a pillow between my legs. It made such a big difference and I haven't looked back. The first couple of nights it was uncomfortable sleeping on my operated site but it soon felt comfortable. Sounds as if you are doing fantastically well otherwise. Good luck! Ruth

• Posted

Hi Ruth, thanks for your reply. I'm finally going to try sleeping on my good side with a pillow between my legs. I'm so sleep dreprived I'm willing to try anything. Hope it works.

• Posted

Hi Do,

I had a LTHR two weeks ago yesterday. The first night in the hospital the nurse asked " do you want to sleep on your good side?" I looked at her like she was nuts. She said it was fine as long as I had a  pillow between my legs. I have not done this, I sleep on my back with a king sized pillow under my surgical leg. I have been sleeping 70% on my back for years. I do take a sleeping pill and now a benedryl as well.  I would think at 3 weeks post op sleeping on surgical leg would be a no/no.  Walking 3 weeks with no aids sounds like a dream, be careful and congrats on great achievements!! Annette

• Posted

Hi Annette

I've tried sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees but it hasn't really helped. The main problem for me, with sleeping on my back all night, is that I get so stiff and my back starts to really ache.

I've never been able to sleep on my back so it's not surprising I'm having these problems.

Tonight, for the first time, I'm going to try sleeping on my good side with a pillow between my legs. Fingers crossed (not legs!).

• Posted

I stuck with the torture of 6 weeks on my back after my operation, I did manage to get onto my operated side after that for short periods.

Then 4 weeks later I had to have revision, so had another torture session of sleeping on my back for 6 weeks.  After that I could not get onto my operated side (too uncomfortable), but could get on the unoperated side twisted).  I did it a couple of weeks earlier this time, probably because the operation was not quite as brutal to my leg muscles.

I did it with a pillow between my legs to support the upper one, and one behind my back for stability.

Graham

• Posted

Wow Graham--such a lot of torture! Tonight I'm going to try a pillow between my legs while I sleep on my good side and I'm also going to follow your suggestion of a pillow behind my back as well.

• Posted

Hi don I'm 3 weeks post op and haven't managed more than 2 hrs of sleep at a time I have no pain from the op side but my back  gives me gyp. I can get round with one crutch inside but use 2 when I go for a walk I darnt sleep on my op side as it is still tender I catch up during the day having a nap . I go on my iPad or watch tv if I can't sleep chin up we will all reach our goal eventually 

• Posted

Hi Jean

We seem to be suffering the same thing--2 hrs sleep at night and back pain. I try to read during the night or go on my computer but three weeks of very poor sleeping is taking it's toll. This afternoon I phoned the PT at the hospital and she has confirmed I can sleep on my good side as long as I use pillows to prevent my operated leg falling over my body (not sure that makes sense but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Thanks for your reply and good luck and sweet dreams!

• Posted

It makes sense, you cannot have your operated leg cross th center of your body due to dislocation rule. Enjoy, hope it works!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.