Mental barrier towards work, Anyone else got this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Whenever I think of trying to get job I feel it will make me more mindless and misrable if I start working, I am young and have many beliefs about work that don't fit the norm.. rebelious too some maybe, like I don't think anybody should slave away all week because whats the point in living if you only work then complain you can't have any time too yourself, problem is most people need the money or else.. I'm currently on a benefit which means as long as im ill I don't need to work, but I think work is exactly what could help me no longer be Ill.. though it could potentially make e a whole lot worse, yet as you can see I have a very negative thought train about the idea of work and always have done.. I don't understand if it means theres somthing wrong with me, because I'm not lazy,I love doing things (maybe not chores :p) and have enjoyed some work in the past.. but all I get now when I think about it is stress and a horrible feeling.. I worry about never working and feeling like i've done nothing,but I also feel that work shouldnt define me either.. some would say get a good balance betwen the two but then its not actually fincially benfical to even work less hours = less pay = same amount I get roughly for doing nothing but can do whatever I want whenever.. only I'm stuck with lonliness and the stigma of being unemployed... which lately I keep getting asked So what do you do... which I have to anwser.. err nothing. If anyones been in this situtation before any insight in what I should be aiming for or somthing would be great.. Just very confused.. perhaps its gonna be a common thing for people my age growing up, I'm 21 incase anyones wondering had a job for a few weeks which was a misrable experience when I was 17, not worked since, Reason this is in depression is because of the saddness I feel etc.. I don't think its linked to anxiety so depression is the closest thing I can put it too, I also couldnt cope with someone being rude to me, I dont put up with it and refuse too as I am not below anyone else nor above them,I feel somtimes as if there is no place for me as I refuse to become a mindless drone that just obeys but asks no questions, I could keep going on about stuff all day so al shht and see if anyone has any insight?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Roka,

Glad to say I am a Pensioner, and I never get bored, I come on here, look after my Orchard, take the dog out and read a great deal, although my short term memory is shot.

When it comes to work Society has dictated what we human beings need to do too feed and that is work. Yes work extends further than just that and one of the things it extends to is just living and breeding.

Generally I do not know what to do, if you have a hobbie, wreak the hobbie and get paid for it, then look for another hobby.

Very few people on this world do not want to work, the problem is it has been harwired into our being. Yes I understand you have depression and you have this certain attitude that most probably worse in the morning and possibly Mondays.

All I can say is look for something to enjoy, then start from there. I suppose you want a family, that is works one big incentive.

Sorry I just cannot help, that is life

BOB

• Posted

At least you tryed, Not sure I want a family so thats no incentive, and the that is life thing people say a lot is just like wow nice, just give up so easily then lol, such a cheap over used excuse I've heard for years from people who don't know the anwsers themselves 

• Posted

Have you thought about volunteering? You can still do this on benefits and try out different jobs at the same time and meet new people. What have you vot to lose?
    • Posted

I have, Not found anyhwere of intrest where I live yet, lots of competion for volunteering jobs here.. Calling places up and bassically offering to work for free only to be told they don't need any extra help isn't fun lol

• Posted

Can imagine it is soul destroying to keep getting turned down, but nothing really ever comes without perservering..

Lots of websites if you search to volunteer or have you thought about volunteering abroad? Or a local church food parcel or salvation army homeless.. Life is about trying new things, some you may hate but there might be that one that really benefits you.. Good luck.

• Posted

This could just be a simple case of a flagging work ethic. I mean no one has top notch mental approaches to everything single thing in life and work is no different. Maybe just focus on realizing the positives of working for a living, paying your own way in the world. I mean I understand you need to be recieving a benefit at present but I'm not talking about that. It could actually be that your self confidence in regards to holding down a job is the main issue and not employment itself.

• Posted

do what ever makes you the happyiest in this life,theres no wrong or right way to live it theres only sociertys way which dosent mean its the right way,lifes to short to worry about this and that,so again JUST DO WHAT EVER YOU FEEL THE HAPPYIES DOING,be strong and enjoy life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.