I feel like giving up

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been good and bad advice on this medication. It has not helped me yet. That last piece of advice has been to go to AA. He said that the doctors are prescribing more antidepressants that they don't know anything about. I'm afraid of going to AAA and withdrawing and start right back where I began. Please somebody give me some advice

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, mispint on the AA

Cant take much more

• Posted

Beth i wanted to tell you earlier on previous discussion thread that other people are giving you advice based on their experience. I don't think they intend it to be bad or unhelpful to you. They be been unlucky enough to have very bad experiences with fluox itself or the support they themselves get is not helpful. Also people are at different stages of wellness too. they dont want you to go through same awful experience.

If you visit mind .org or nhs site there will be reliable advice there. Or you might want to reply back to helpful people in different discussions

• Posted

Sorry Deeb,

It was a chat with my brother that set me off, and some people not feeling better 6 mos. later. I'll check out those sites and do a liitle praying.

Thank for the encouragement.

• Posted

Hi Beth, I was on Fluoxetine many a year ago for roughly six months, and I was fine on them and withdrawing from them. I am now on Sertraline (50mg) and have been for Four weeks due to Anxiety attacks, I did have a few side effects and they seemed to have passed. And the Medication seems to be working. But Beth, any Medication that is prescribed to each of us, will affect us all differently. What will work for some may not for others, but I'd pop into your GP and tell him of your concerns, I hope you find the answers your looking for.

• Posted

Hi daveyDee,

The frustration of it all has my mind spinning. Wait it out, try new meds, go to AA. I just want to be normal again h

• Posted

Hi Beth,

We are are all here for support, in life I truly have tortured myself Mentally, to the point of belief. And Like yourself was desperate for help, On visiting the GP she sent me to see a psychiatrist there and then. It was then after a lengthy discussion about my state of mind, he prescribed me (20mg) Fluoxetine a day, a week past and I went back to the psychiatrist just to see how I was fairing. I told him I felt great and more myself and that the Medication was working, though the psychiatrist agreed to notice my betterment, he said the Medication would take a further two to three weeks to take effect. And that because I was taking something, Psychologically, it was making me better. Please Beth, don't prolong your suffering, and consider going to a support group or professional advice from your GP. Don't ever think you have no where to turn, Like I once did xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.