Split dosage

Posted , 6 users are following.

First some facts. I'm 74 and have always been active but like most have had some issues. Stent #1 in 2008, stent #2 2010 and blood pressure started to be a problem. Tried Beta blockers and could barely get to a fast walk before I felt like i was pulling a car. was prescribed other hypertension meds and all created dizzeness, felt tired, cough, but then prescibed amlodipine (5mg)  and I could actually start to get my herat rate up. T.aking 5mg in the morning by 8pm my BP would start to take off. The best thing that helped me was to take 2.5 in the morning and 2,5 in the evening. Amlodipine does come in 2.5mg tablets.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad you are feeling better. When I first started taking Adlodipine, I loved it also. I had a lot of energy and I would just jump out of the bed in the mornings and be raring to go. I could think clearly and it smoothed out my ADHD or whatever I have. I seemed to accomplish a lot of work during the day. It was only after a couple of months that I started having problems. Maybe my body was so worn down from all the work. My legs started to not feel good and I got extremely depressed. At that point I cut my pills in half also. I don't take Adlodipine now, but I liked it for a while. As for cutting pills in half, I do that a lot with different medications. My body is super sensitive to medicines and I usually pick up on all the side effects. The blood pressure medicine that I'm taking now, the doctor told me to take a half and sometimes I just take a quarter. So I'm wondering if I'm really that bad to take anything at all. I keep a check on my blood pressure every day. I think we know more about our bodies than our doctors do sometimes.

• Posted

My leg started improving pretty much as soon as I quit the Adlodipine. I always had pretty strong legs. They started feeling weak and sore, and I'm thinking tingley. Of course I was working a lot also and I am in my fifties.

• Posted

I was hopeful to be able to not take any meds for my hypertension, but not the case. Amlodipine has worked for me the best but still get some side effects I dislike.
  • Posted

I'm very pleased it has. Worked for you. I however have terrible brown staining on my legs that it created. The pain was terrible in my legs and am now off them. The problem is I am now left with these awful looking legs and who is going to pay to correct them? If I had known that this could happen I would NEVER have taken them. If you start to get any brown staining on your legs speak to your doctor. Mine started as a little mark and no one listened. Both my legs are now a mess. Personally I have to wonder how this drug got licensed as my side effects are just unacceptable. I else like a freak and won't go swimming which I love

• Posted

Pauline, you do take good care of the skin on your lower legs, don't you? You probably already know this, but what you're describing could be the precursor to leg ulcers, as well as being very disfiguring. I'm afraid the skin in these discoloured areas will always be rather fragile. You need to (gently) apply a basic dermatological cream to your legs at least once a day, and always after bathing or showering, try to avoid knocking them, and also take care not to wear trousers in abrasive materials unless you're wearing stockings underneath them. If you're in the UK you may be able to get dermatological cream on prescription. If I were in your position I'd push for that as hard as possible with my GP!

So sorry to hear you're having this problem.

• Posted

I am do get dermatological cream on prescription. I have to pay for this though. I am also told veins are no longer treated on the NHS so I would have to pay private for the correction. To be quiet honest I am really annoyed at this. My legs were fine, I repeatedly went to the GP and asked if it could be the tablets. I now having to live with the consequences of  bad medication and inadequate initial treatment. I'm so cross over this as I feel as if I'm not being taken seriously. But it is not ok! My legs should not have got like this, it is unacceptable. I'm glad if the tablets work for other, however beware don't be fobbed off if things start to go wrong.

• Posted

I agree with everything you say Pauline. I'd be very angry in your place too. I think this points up the fact that we all need to research any medications we're prescribed, rather than just taking our doctor's word for it. Sadly, Doctor doesn't always know best!

I admit it's a bit easier for me to understand research as a former nurse, albeit from way back when. However, there's plenty of understandable information out there, in addition to the dodgy stuff on so-called "natural health" sites. I usually go to sites like WebMD, Mayo Clinic and the NCBI. The latter can be a bit technical, but the conclusions para is usually very clear.

I hope your legs soon start improving. I think you can expect some improvement, having now stopped the amlodipine, even though this could take some time.

• Posted

bob37156...You're not the first person to experience taking seperate doses of Amlodipine. By seperate, I mean that you'd take 2.5 say in the am, then 2.5 in the evenings. My cousin was taking 5mgs of Amlodipine & her bp started spiking in the afternoons. Her Dr. suggested she take 2.5 in the morning, then 2.5 in the afternoon. THAT did the trick!!! 

This med is good for some, but not so good for others. We're all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.