Grinding/Popping Noise in Left Shoulder ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a grinding or popping feeling in my left shoulder, mostly my shoulder blade when I move it back, my right shoulder doesn't have this. I have been getting a full body massage everyday for the last 12 days, maybe its because of that ? or maybe I slept in the wrong position ? 

I only noticed it today when I woke up, my friend told me she has same feeing and its maybe normal. I'm not in any extreme pain or discomfort, just a very little ache on the left shoulder blade area.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need to start with a simple x-ray, I had shoulder a replacement and now I'm 5 times worse, can't even do a belly press, but I can do a back lift off which really is a an oxymoron statement, but it’s the way I'm now exactly one year later as of today  

• Posted

If this has only started since you have been doing massage, I wouldn't do anything just yet. Grinding may be of some concern, but the popping is probably muscles in your shoulder relaxing. Shoulders won't show anything on an x-ray if it's muscle and tissue issues, although protocol will make one do that first. Ask your masseuse about it. Perhaps there are exercises to alleviate any stiffness that may be occurring, or perhaps some icing may be all that's needed to take away any possible inflamation. Shoulders can be a devil, seek out a therapist if your condition continues to worsen. If and when you ever need to see an ortho surgeon, you will know. Best wishes.

• Posted

I can relate to that problem. My right shoulder feels like it has tiny pebbles in it. They pop when I move my arm. I can actually feel the shoulder moving over them if I put my hand over the joint. There is pain, not a lot, mostly it's annoying. Shoulder doesn't feel stable and I can't lift it over my head. Mine has progressed over a few months. Anyone have any ideas what could cause that?

• Posted

Sadly it sounds like your shoulder joint has no more cartilage left, and it grinding bone, on bone, welcome to our world, hope you have better luck than I did getting a shoulder replacement, I'm 5 times worse regret it, thought it would be more like my hip replacement which went perfect, can even run the track with it, walked out on my own power, only a cane for two days, and drove my 5 speed truck the next day. I guess I picked a loser for a surgeon, or he let some intern screw it up. And even now I can hear grinding noises, can't do a belly press, but can do a back lift off, can you do a belly press and a back lift off, I now lost that, which means I have trouble just butting up my shirt buttons 

• Posted

I'm not that bad yet. I still have painless forward movement but pain moving my arm backward. I also get pain when I lift my arm upward. I wonder if I should seek treatment now or wait till it gets worse.

• Posted

Hi. I cannot say that I have experienced what you are going through. However, I did learn a lot about my shoulder while going through rotator cuff issues, therapy, surgery, more therapy. I would see an orthopedic surgeon. One that "specializes " in shoulders. If that's available to you. You will be run through the usual, xray, more than likely an mri, possible cortisone shots..knowledge is key. Once you know what's going on you will be given options of things that you can do. As long as you aren't having any debilitating pain, you can take your time and maybe, possibly find a therapy that will let you continue your life without surgery. Do, or don't do, what feels right for you. Good luck!

• Posted

So sorry for your pain issues and such after your shoulder replacement. Have you gone back to see your doc? What does he say? I know shoulders take a long time to heal and require lots of therapy. Maybe you need to see someone new. Best wishes to you...
    • Posted

Sure I went back many times, he had no answer but give me pain pills kept saying the x-rays look good, BUT THE SURGEON NEVER TESTED ME FOR A BELLY PRESS AFTERWARDS I HAD TO LEARN ABOUT THAT ON MY OWN, and when i asked him he said he wished he never did it, I wish that too
    • Posted

Hi. I'm so sorry for your issues. Sounds like your "doc" is either the wrong doctor or very inexperienced. It seems the only options left to you are to go see someone new and get a second opinion. See an orthopedic surgeon. How long ago did you have your surgery? Did your doc have you do any therapy? I am still doing therapy and have pain from that, although the pain is nothing compared to before and right after my surgery. I had my surgery about 5 months ago. So, it does take time. A long time for shoulders to heal. I do my exercises every day, without fail. And they still hurt to do them, but outside of that my pain is mostly gone. I am just now starting strengthening exercises, a long time coming. I am not meaning to sound condescending. I obviously don't know your story. BUT, I do dislike seeing people in pain. I truly hope you have some luck finding someone that can help you with that. Your name says old guy, I don't know how old you are but I'm 58 and not a young kid. Part of getting older that bites, longer healing times!

Best wishes...

• Posted

Likely nothing to worry about. Could have slept funny as you said. I would wait a week and if it persists go to the doctor to take a look at it. Most important, do not over exert your shoulder until it gets better. I would just rest it, maybe ice it a little and give it some shower heat too.
  • Posted

Hi, just wondering how things are going? Have you been resting your sholder and using heat and ice or did you decide to see someone? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.