Cyst plus ovary removed or full hysterectomy

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have apainful 10cm cyst on my right ovary.  I have been offered two options, I. Removal of ovary and cyst or 2. Full hysterectomy.  I am post menopause, 53 and confused.  I don't know which way to go.  If I have the cyst/ovary removed what is the chance that I get another on the other side?  If they end up opening me up rather than keyhole the recovery would be similar in either case?  Please help with your experiences.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was in your shoes 10 years ago at age 49 when I developed a 9.5cm cyst. I was not given the necessary information to make an informed decision and have since learned that in the U.S. only about 10% of these surgeries are necessary. Hysterectomy and ovary removal is also grossly overused in some other countries.

Knowing what I have sinced learned, I wouldn't allow removal of ANY organs as long as the cyst is benign as most are. A surgeon with good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills should be able to remove the cyst and preserve your ovary. Our ovaries, uterus and tubes have life long functions. Removal of any part can disrupt the whole endocrine system predisposing us to health problems and early death. These risks are highest with removal of both ovaries or their complete failure post gyn surgery since "naturally menopausal" ovaries produce hormones our whole lives. This is proven by numerous studies on bilateral oophorectomy and long-term health (Pubmed is a good source).

The uterus is also essential as a place holder for the bladder, bowel, and vagina. Its removal increases risk of impaired function including urinary and fecal incontinence as well as pelvic organ prolapse. Many women also report a loss of sexual desire and response.

The four sets of uterine ligaments are the pelvis' support structures which is why hysterectomized women have shortened thickened midsections, big bellies, and no curve in their lower back giving the appearance of a flattened derriere / backside. 

Removal of the one ovary may not cause issues but there is no way of knowing beforehand. I know of women whose other ovary quit working after one was removed and put them into a surgical menopause as if both were removed. And there are plenty of women whose ovaries shut down after hysterectomy due to loss of blood flow and feedback with the uterus.

I can personally attest to all of the above negative effects of hysterectomy and oophorectomy (ovary removal). It has affected every aspect of my life even though I'm on HRT. I regret it every day.

Please make sure you understand the ramifications of living without these organs. These surgeries are inherently destructive. Some of the problems take years to manifest but they tend to be progressive. Restorative surgeries restore health and function...not so with hysterectomy nor oophorectomy. They cause a whole new set of problems since these are vital organs.

• Posted

I had a football sized cyst on my ovary.  My obgyn said I needed to see a surgical oncologist as the only way to determine if a cyst is malignant is through a biopsy.  I was not a candidate for key hole surgery since my cyst was so large.

Prior to surgery, the surgeon and I discussed possible outcomes risks/benefits.  I am 43 years old, and have two teenage children.  My husband and I were not planning on having more kids.  That said, I wanted to keep as many of my woman parts as possible.  The surgeon told me that most dangerous cysts/cancers travel down the fallopian tubes.  He suggested that if my cyst was benign that I should remove them as it would help curtail futures cysts.  My football sized cyst was the first one to ever get so large and create a problem for me.  That said, the surgeon also said that the cyst was completely wrapped around my right ovary and would need to be removed with it.  

So prior to surgery, my directive to the surgeon was to remove the right ovary with the attached cyst, my tubes and nothing else if my cyst was benign.  If malignant, I asked to have a full hysterectomy to try and preserve my life and reduce risk of transmission.

Lucky for me my cyst was benign.  What the surgeon didn't tell me is that the scar down my tummy would cause the area around it to look like a small smile/zipper or extra backside :<( 

I have some lingering twinges of pain here and there.  In addition, my stomach is very hard which I wonder if that is due to some scar tissue.  I had three previous surgeries on my tummy (two were c-sections) so that could have caused additional issues for me.

I have not entered menopause as a result of the above and all is working as it should.  I wish you well with whatever you decision you make.

• Posted

If your cyst was benign and can be removed saving the ovary, why not doing so?

If the removal of cyst only was impossible due to its location, formation, then maybe yes take that ovary, that one.

But why from there remove the uterus, if the uterus has no painful growths in it? Why remove the second healthy ovary?

The cyst (simple?) has to come out, it has its risks of squeezing organs or blood supply, but if anything else looked fine and was no cancer growth, I quite don't understand that offer??

Is there ovary and uterus cancer risk in your family? Then maybe.

Benefits have to outweigh risks.

So each case is individual, but I personally would never run into 'overkill' just for the sake of it since my family runs no ovarian uterus cancer history.

As aged-too-fast explained so well, for her the removal was a pure overkill.

I had a 9cm dermoid cyst and nothing regrown since then (26 years ago). Polycystic ovaries with pearl size of cysts give me no fright or symptoms.

We might have a tendency for bigger cyst formation (it's very common),

but if this benefit of removing cysts possibility in future 100% via removing simply both ovaries for that reason only, is outweighing the risks of surgery aftermath....I let you to decide.

For me it wouldn't in this context. 

But maybe there is more to it in your personal case (e.g. as mentioned risk factors)

Best of luck for your surgery!

• Posted

Judith,

I agree with the conservative approach in previous comments. I fail to understand why surgeons automatically go to the hysterectony option when only one aspect of the system is the issue.

The female organs are part of her entire system. Contributing to body function her entire life. Your organs still function on a reduced basis even though you are no longer menstrating.

Each woman responds differently but my view would be can the cyst be removed and the ovary saved? If not, remove the problem cyst/ovary. If all other parts are normal why should they be removed?

I have friends who have chosen to have prophylactic hysterectomies because they have the BRCA gene. However, they have suffered typical side effects cause by the hormonal changes. I too have had to deal with those side effects and would have chosen to preserve all possible but endometriosis had overtaken my abdomen.

The bodily changes are mostly the same but at a magnified level. But I would suggest researching the side effects of total hysterectomy and see if you are willing to cope with them. Retaining minimum one ovary will likey still provide the hormones and slow the aging process and maintain overall health benefits. In turn, retaining your uterus will preserve sexual function, satisfaction. (Aside from normal post menopausal changes).

If this cyst is your only issue I suggest only remove what is giving you problems and leave the rest intact.

I would recommend you read the ongoing discussion started by top00104. There are comments on both sides but I think there is much helpful information.

But if you feel uncomfortable with the surgeon you have now seek out a second opinion.

Hope this is helpful. Wishing you speedy positive resolution to your issue.

• Posted

I had a 7,5 cm cyst removed last year at age 50. My obgyn recommended while in there to remove both ovaries and both tubes and also do a d&c since my uterine lining was thicker that it should have been for a woman in menopause (blood test taken before surgery to confirm i was in face in menopause) it was done laparoscopically. Recovery was super easy and fully back to normal in a couple of weeks. The only thing that was worse was my hot flashes that I had before the surgery anyway and I started taking natural supplements that have really helped. I have never felt better. My skin looks great (lots of people notice that right away) my hair and nails look better than ever. No more worries about ovarian cancer!!! Everyone needs to go into this doing whatever they are comfortable with. I had heard all the horror story's but for me good riddance! Good luck with what ever you decide. Oh and another positive is my weight has leveled out even lost 5 pounds!

• Posted

Hi Sheri,

I just had a bilateral oophorectomy and was approaching menopause. I am curious what supplements helped you? 

Thanks,

Ann

• Posted

Hi I'm alisha I am 16 years old. Last year I found out I had a 22cm ovarian tumour on my right ovary. It was quickly removed along with my right ovary. I have a large scar down my stomach. I was wondering if anyone knew if having only one ovary can effect me in the future with things like menopause and having children?? 

• Posted

Hi Alisha .I was 20 years old when they found dermoid tumor on my left ovary .I was worried if I would ever have kids but one ovary was stilll ondo ibhad 2 girls and now after 23 years I have another dermoid on my right ovary .Still don’t know if I am doing hysterectomy or just remove the tumor .

Don’t worry you will be fine .

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but how does it jump from an ovary and cyst to a full hysterectomy? Do you mean they want to take out both tubes and the other ovary? I don't see why they need to remove the uterus. Gee, that's excessive. But medicine has a history of going overboard with hysterectomies for no good reason. You don't see men getting their reproductive organs lopped off en masse. 

But I digress. If it's removing the tubes and ovaries and you don't plan on more children, then perhaps that would be effective. Keep in mind you might have to start hormones though. 

• Edited

hello ladies, i have been reading these forums for about a year now. Last year in December i woke up to excruciating pain in my left side, i thought i was dying 5 hours later i was under the knife to remove my left ovary and tube due to torison. Im sure some of you could imagine my shock. The doctor said she would do her best to save my ovary but the cyst was just too big, 12 cm. First, i want to thank you and command you all beautiful women for being so strong and relentless with the cards we have been dealt with ❤️ my question is for women years after this surgery what has your life been like? Any depression? changes in memory? sex drive and quality? heart and bone health? just overall well being? did life ever come back to the way it was prior to this surgery? The only reassurance i can find online is still being able to conceive with one ovary, which is a miracle of its own, but i am more worried about the overall well being of being a woman. i am going through some emotional turmoil and having a hard time coping with this surgery and all of the articles i have been reading online about the possible doom of my future. so ladies if you could take a moment out of our day to let us know how your life has been impacted if in anyway since this surgery i would really appreciate it. ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.