Ferritin, Hemoglobin and Phlebotomy Effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm sure the answer to my question is already in the existing discussion forums, but I am a new member and trying to weed through the process.  After one year, two liver biopsies, three doctors, a CT and over a dozen labs, I was finally diagnosed with HH about a month ago.  My third phlebotomy was yesterday, but the "rules" are confusing me...  One doctor says that I have to give until my ferritin level is 50, while the blood services office says that my hemoglobin level is far more telling than the ferritin.  Can someone explain that to me?  If my hemoglobin is low but my ferritin level does not decrease, what does this mean for my future?  Also, the intake nurse at blood services says that most people feel great after giving - that they have more energy, can breathe better, etc.  However, after my third, I felt like I had been hit by a bus.  I haven't really talked to anyone about this and I'm just so lost. 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jan

My consultant says he wants my ferritin levels down to 50,I started

At 1130 now down to 661 a way to go yet???

I have had 6 weekly venesections to date and have got gradually worse

I am tired all the time, lightheaded, aches and pains, I seen the consultant

Last Friday and he has changed me to fortnightly venesections.

I hope I start to feel better so I can return to the gym and exercise

I am 66 so yes age can affect us???

I assume what they are actually saying we will feel better once our

Iron levels are at the required level, and venesection have stopped

(Apart from donating blood 4 or 5 times a year)

Then we will start to feel better. Hopefully???👍👍👍👍

Cheers philx

• Posted

I gave blood for the first time yesterday. I felt fine after it except for the fact that I got the chills while driving home. I'm standing by here to find out the answer to Jan's questions. I don't know the answer. So confusing.

• Posted

In another discussion 12 days ago, zach76568 said: "Yep, at the beginning it will not drop a lot because your body is rushing to refill iron.?"? I think the iron is being released from your other tissues where it has been stored?

• Posted

Hi dawn

Mike told me weeks ago his drop some weeks 100.of 40.or 10

Mine has done exactly that first 2 weeks 100. Then 3 weeks at 45

Then last week only 10,and as you rightly say each venesection

Draws the iron away from our organs, at the moment I am showing

No damage to any organs, but I am not going to get complacent

Good luck to all,hope we all get a satisfactor outcome.

We should all count our blessings, no matter how slow our levels drop.

Spare a thought for poor Glyn for what ever reason, his rise instead

Of falling

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hopefully indeed and thank you for your response.  Like you, I am exhausted and have muscle and joint pains that resemble the flu.  I read once that the bone marrow goes into overdrive trying to produce new red blood cells - is this true to your knowledge?  How do you cope with the fatigue and pain?  I hope you are right that they mean that we feel better once the ferritin levels drop.  Because I certainly don't yet! 

• Posted

I'm with you...  I got the chills after my third phlebotomy - and I live in muggy Florida.  Wasn't expecting that one.  Please keep me posted as to how you're doing!! 

• Posted

Could you clarify what your consultant said about the iron being drawn out of the organs?  I have had damage to the liver, pancreas and adrenals according to my hematologist.  And that's just what they've found so far.  Does the iron actually leach from the affected organs as the levels in the blood drop?

• Posted

Hi Jan

That's what I am led to believe, the iron build up in our bodies,attaches

Itself to our organs (I believe this is what causes damage to our organs)

Every venesection we have draws it away from our organs to try and

Prevent damage, but if any of the organs are already damaged this

Has to be dealt with by respective doctors for that particular organ??

Please check all of this I am only going on what I was told??

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hi, Ferritin and hemoglobin are two different things.  If your hemoglobin is too low, you can feel fatigued etc. (symptoms similar to HH).  Prior to having your blood drawn, you should be tested for ferritin and hemoglobin levels.  If hemoglobin levels are too loo, you may want to take a week or so off for your blood to replenish.  I found in many cases when I had taken a couple weeks off, my ferritin reduced greater than when going once weekly.  As you know, we are all different, but believe the goals are the same--get the ferratin reduced to 50 and maintain the hemoglobin so you don't become anemic.

Good luck

• Posted

Mrs. Z - Thank you for your response...  if you don't mind my picking your brain a little further...  my phlebotomist only takes hemoglobin levels prior to each one - and (1) it is supposed to be over 11.0 and (2) I have been told three times that "hemoglobin levels are the same as iron levels."  Perhaps I'm just missing something because I don't understand how the ferritin levels remain so high if the hemoglobin is so low.  I don't have a lab request for another few weeks to test the ferritin levels...  I'm just trying to understand what is going on.  I'm exhausted and out of breath...  and have yet to get a straight answer from any health professional.  So frustrating.

• Posted

Are you in the UK?  I'm in US - Not sure if that makes a difference.  But my routine was to go weekly for blood draws and prior to going I would have blood tests for ferratin and a CBC which shows all blood levels having to do with hemoglobin etc.  They would call me ahead of time if the ferratin reached the target meaning I didn't have to have a blood draw.  Now on the 3 month program, prior to seeing the Dr., I will have the ferratin, CBC and CMP blood work. We have a system where we can see the results of our blood work, so I can always tell where I'm at.

Hope this helps.  If you need anything else, let me know.

• Posted

Hi mrs.z

I'm in Birmingham England don't know about everyone else.I have

A blood sample taken whilst I am having weekly venesection.

2 days later I can check the levels on the hospital website,

But strangely the hemaglobin levels is not added??.

My own doctor is going to check this to see if it's this that is making

Me feel tired-aches and pains-lightheaded

I am awaiting this result

Cheers Philx

• Posted

I'm in the US as well.  I only recently met with a hemotologist (thank god) as everything prior was through a GI physician who had only one other patient with HH!  Everyone told me that I would be tested for everything prior to giving - but it's only for hemoglobin.  How did you feel when you were going through phlebotomy?  And how long did you go through it?

• Posted

The only time I had those feelings was when after several blood draws, and saw the results of my hemoglobin which was lower than normal.  At that time the Dr. postponed the next blood draw giving my blood a chance to rebuild.  I think that's why it's important to be checking the ferratin and hemoglobin.  I was told that the blood draws can cause anemia.  Hopefully your results will make sense

• Posted

I was diagnosed at the end of Oct. last year -- had the three tests (ferratin, transferrin and genetic tests.  When tested positive for  hemochromatosis with a ferratin level of almost 1,000, was referred to hemotologist.  I started my phlebotomies within a week and started on a weekly basis, but due to scheduled trips etc. did not keep on the weekly program.  By the end of February of 2016 I reached the goal (41).  I believe I had 16-17 phlebotomies and am not on the maintenance program.  Hopefully, you'll have better luck when you meet with the hemotologist -- I LOVE, LOVE my Dr.  Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.