Day 5 of Prozac (Fluoxetine)

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed Prozac, aka Fluoxetine, for depression and anxiety/panic disorder. My doctor is scheduling me to take 10mg the first week, then 20mg the second week, and so on until I reach 40mg.

I've been experiencing side effects; upset stomach, increased anxiety, more depressed, and some small headaches here and there. This has been getting worse day by day.

My question; How long will this last and is it even normal? I've read these pills have to make you feel worse before you feel better, and I understand that, just want more opinions by some people experienced in taking Prozac.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have taken it fr many years I do remember side effects for the first few days if my memory is correct.

If they last longer ask your Dr.

I remember this medicine was like putting on a pair of glasses for the first time I felt like I could see the world in clear light it was great. But not everyone has the same feelings so like I said if side effects last too long ask your Dr. and see what they say.

• Posted

Hi there

I am on these tablets myself I had a few side effects. But you will not notice any change in your well being for 3 months. The tablets have been fine. I was in a right state because I have been suffering for 6 years with depression and never knew it

Give them time to work.

• Posted

Hi pnw ,

I took to this medication er well but y anxiety did not go away. My GP says I may need to go on something different as fluoxetine can cause anxiety as a side effect, I was prescribed them for my depression, but I am also suffering ptsd as well as anxiety and depression. One hat does not fit all.

F

• Posted

yes, this is normal. a lot of people get the nausea. buy ginger ale and cracker and ginger gum. even those motion sickness bracelets that you get for car sickness. this will go away for sure. you may want to go up a little bit slower than he says. the headaches will go away and it is given for ocd and anxiety and has REALLY helped me.  they say give it a few weeks on the side effects, but in a month you should be feeling kind of normal.. you will not be worrying ( if you do) and you will not gain weight!!!   go slow, get it up to 20, and hold that for several weeks untl you are feeling good befoe you jump up. my guess that in a month- 6 weeks you will feel really different.  good luck to you.....
  • Posted

hi pnw!

i've been taking prozac for maybe 12 years now. (for compulsive disorders. examples, spinning 3 times before using the microwave, checking my alarm clock 80 times at night before retiring,...strange stuff like that)

i was started off on 40mg in the beginning, and now taking 80mg. i understand that sounds like a whole lot, because it is. but it works fantastic for me. i did get head aches in the beginning, but they've sudsided. prozac does cause me a tiny bit of anxiety. so i take it in the morning. if i took it in the second half of the day, i wouldn't be able to sleep at night. but i know people who take it to help their anxiety. so it works different for everybody. amazing stuff.

i hope this medication works for you. unfortunately, it can take a few months to take full effect. so, you gotta hang in there for a while, if you can. hope this helps!

regards, laura

• Posted

Haven't experienced side effects in days now, btw it is day 11 and im about to move up to 30mg a day, feeling improvement smile

• Posted

Hi there,

I feel for you I really do, being anxious and deppressed is the worst feeling in the world. However the Prozac after 5 days will not be increasing your deppression or anxiety, taking it may have increased your anxiety but chemically it's not possible especielly after such a short time. The mind is a terrible thing when not working properly and I'm sure you believe it is the prozac. Please give it time, after a while without really noticing you will just begin to hopefully feel better. There is no WOW I feel so happy moment, u just slowly start to think more clearly. Stay strong and good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.