How does a normal 2 yr old act.an what are signs of a autism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Really need some help here.My 2 yr old grandchild just dont seem normal.only saying 1 word. will say thank you.your welcome.but crys and turns it off.she has a speech and therapy Dr. I love her so much.my other grandchildren seem way ahead.my 3 yr old granddaughter talks like a grown up.so back to my 2 yr old.I can feel an see something isnt right.my daughter had her at 38.she is a handful.only thing that will keep her attention is einstein.is it true you can not diagnose a 2 yr old.Im just asking what a normal 2 yr old says.does how they should interact.an my youngest daughter says she knows something is wrong with her.an maybe a form of autism. need some help in this.thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

She's so lucky to have her Mommy and Grandma looking out for her like this! smile  If she has speech therapy, I'm guessing that a hearing impairment has been ruled out?  

Can you get your hands on a kid-friendly sign language video? If she'll watch those, it may help her communicate with her family members. I showed my sons sign language when they were little so they could at least communicate basics and I'd know if they wanted milk for example - my older son was delayed and my younger son later started speech therapy (he's 8 and still receives it). My older son LOVED baby einstein videos and watched "Signing Time" too. My younger son wasn't as interested - we discovered he had some visual issues later.

Do her therapists think she has autism? She's not too young to evaluate for services like using an ABA therapist to help her. If you're in the US then when she turns 3, she won't be eligible for Early Intervention and will probably have another series of evaluations such as speech and educational and motor skills/movements.  A developmental peditrician may be the best route to take next.

She may also have an underlying problem which isn't obvious now. My son with vision issues also has Coeliac Disease, food allergies, mild Cerebral Palsy and he just couldn't see well enough to do fairly simple tasks. So, everything was painful &/or frustrating - and he was not exactly well-behaved at age 2. We thought something was "wrong" but we had to peel back layers over time as he grew older and able to undergo more testing and doctor visits.  I guess your Granddaughter is similar and this will be a real journey for your family to find out what she needs and how to provide it for her.

HUGS to you all! Good Luck! 

• Posted

Thank you so much. yes we have the cards.and all. im in the usa. You are a angel to have taken your boys and done everything .for them.I need a little more patients. at 2 they are going threw a hard.time then she does have Behavior Issue's and wont listen. you take her hand she will lay on floor dirt. and cry she dont want to walk. with us an hold hands so we were told to let her lay till she gets up.she did better yesterday. Im so happy you answered me. because it makes me not get discouraged.she has food allergys. her hearing is fine,its delayed speech. we have like numbers fruit. animals so she can say them.I have a cousin who has Cerebral palsy I want to tell you this he has no control over his back.or arms. and he is 41 today and goes out every where in his wheel chair.downtown.and he has NO control being his hands are twisted he can use 1 to steer the chair. he is remarkable.talks like you and I do. he was born like this. because whn his mom went into labor she bled.he did not get oxygen to his brain. he goes out more by him self.he does need to be put on pot to bed. and everything. but once in his chair he goes i get scared he will fall. cause he has no control over any part of his body except 1 arm .how old are your sons now? Im so glad to meet you my name is Lynn live in Pa.also your right it goin to be a real journey you have to take the good with the bad.I so love your attitude.an all you have come threw with your sons please keep in touch.Im always on here.Hugs to you and you Boys.oh baby einstein an chou chou keeps her entertained so we can get things done.we have it installed in back of car also for her.tysm Aveline

• Posted

WOW! Your cousin is such an inspiration! You and your daughter are dealing with a lot, but your granddaughter is in very good hands - I can tell! smile  Hi, neighbor - we're in NJ - NYC suburbs!

My sons aren't severe in any impairment, so we may need some treatments but they help and we're moving along okay... When my younger son was 3, I was called in to school because he "hit" a teacher. It was a very low point and I felt like a failure. He did okay in his 2.5 year old class, which was small but it was the last year of the program and I put him in a larger preschool (more like day care) and he didn't adapt well that year. His "hitting" was actually flailing because he was being moved into a seat when he didn't listen and remained on the floor. He was wrong of course, but he over-reacts to being touched. I know so much more now about sensory integration (Sensory Processing - I think if you google it you will see lots of your granddaughter in the descriptions).  He didn't want to hurt his teacher, he wasn't attacking her, he felt like he had to protect himself. The following year it was far better with a smaller class (same school) and I knew so much more to tell her so he wasn't touched in any sudden way. This past year, his teacher tapped his shoulder and couldn't believe how he JUMPED. So, yeah, some of this doesn't exactly go away as they grow - but they sure can modulate all the sensory overload better over time. He's eight now, he's going into third grade.  My older son just turned 11 and is going into sixth (I had them when I was 36 and 38, so I can relate).

If your 2 year old can say numbers and animals (and make their sounds?) it seems like she's learning okay in spite of her multiple issues. That's a very good thing! If she has autism at all, it's likely to be a high-functioning type. Keep her around other children and stay with whatever motivates her to keep teaching her and rewarding her for any good behavior at all. Even typical 2 year olds are supposed to misbehave, test limits and have meltdowns! She seems bright and strong so these traits will serve her well as she grows... HUGS to your daughter - she'll need LOADS of patience! wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.