Chronic Neck Pain and X-Ray Questions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 22 years old and have been having neck pain since I was at least 15 years old. The pain has gotten worse over the years, so I visited a doctor and a physical therapist; however, neither could find a problem other than saying I have tension headaches, tight neck muscles, and bad posture. 

I just started seeing a chiropractor who took a front and side cervical spine x-ray for me. Apparently my neck doesn't have a normal curvature; it's too straight / goes in reverse in a way? Or at least that's what the chiropractor said. The front x-ray shows that my bones aren't aligned and I have issues with my C1, C2, and C5 bones. He spent about a minute (two different visits) fixing my posture and cracking my neck, and my neck has felt better since then. 

My question is: Is it possible that my x-rays are wrong based on how I positioned my neck when the x-rays were being taken? Because for the side x-ray, I pushed my neck back to straighten it out. I'm not sure if that changed how my neck bones actually look like from the side or not. 

Also has anybody else had the following symptoms from neck pain? 

- Painful ears (feels like a lot pressure on your ears) 

- Eye strain 

- Trouble breathing (Feels like I'm getting less oxygen than I should be when I breathe in)

- Jaw pain 

- Headaches 

- Shoulder / top back pain 

Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I meant my C1, C2, and C5 vertebrae
  • Posted

Yes I had this, and it is terrible and takes a long time to get rid of it. All the above is collectively called upper cross syndrome with forward head posture. It can lead to straight necks or reverse curve in the neck which creates a lot of compression in the neck that can spiral  down head to toe....darn painful. All the other symptoms like painful ears etc., are from overly tight muscles  usually riddled with trigger points....sternocleidomastoid and scalenes for instance...I am glad you are feeling better but do not be surprised if it returns...that means you need "specific" strength training to hold them adjustments and muscles have something called muscle memory....it takes years of abuse to develop this and computer technology has afflicted many people with this...our bodies weren't meant to stare at computers or sit at desk for as long as we do....it usually takes a combination of treatments and time/patience to get rid of it...Best wishes!

• Posted

Crystal, shes 22. Shes not had years of abuse, to create this.

Kimmi

• Posted

Kimmi, the younger population are having a lot of trouble with neck pain. Researchers are discovering this is related to the use of desk top computers and now hand held devices constantly looking down or up depending on the device. Researchers are calling it text neck and are predicting this is going to be an epidemic of pain amongst the young. Do some research on it. She or he above has been told by a physical therapist that they have bad posture, a chiropractor who has done imaging that shows there is an abnormal cervical curve with abnormal alignment at C1-C2, issues at C5, and a patient complaining of neck pain which are common consequences of bad posture...Now these issues do not happen overnight...In fact, if you go back to the initial post he/she says they started with these symptoms several years ago and it has progressively gotten worse over the years....I have a lot of personal experience with this. And....I was kindly responding to Daydreams.
    • Posted

Hi Crystal, 

Can you please clarify the years of abuse part? Do you mean years of abusing technology, etc? How long did it take for you to get rid of it? 

Thank you!

• Posted

Years of using technology with bad posture & bad ergonomics. Initially, this causes no problem for people. However over the years this puts overwhelming work load on particular muscles depending on the posture and their opposing muscles become weakened. These weakened muscles cause the spine to be pulled out of alignment. Then the body has to start compensating for the misalignment and particular muscles not doing their job. This leads to pain as muscles start trying to create movements they weren't intended to do and repetitive strains caused by maximum tissue capacity which creates the vicious inflammation pain spasm cycle. I am an RN and have seen kids as young as 8 and 10 years old complaining of neck pain...what would cause this in otherwise healthy kids? From my personal experience and reading the research of others....bad posture. It takes a while to get over it because it wasn't overnight to develop it....and....you can not sit there and do nothing thinking time will take it away...it does not and gets worse if it doesn't get attention. The first thing one must do is gain awareness of the problem...so here are some things to help you....my imaging results were just like yours....upper traps, sternocleidomastoid, scalenes, pec major/ pec minor, suboccipitals, levator scapulae, rhomboids, will be excessively tight...deep neck flexors are weak, lower traps are weak, and usually with forward head will have an anterior pelvic tilt. Breathing difficulty comes from tight pecs and tight upper rectus abdominus as the upper body slouches. This prevents the ribs and diaphragm from fully expanding. The issues at C1-C2 are from the tight suboccipitals which overly contract to keep the head from falling forward. This pulls them two vertebrae into hyperextension so now it becomes more difficult to rotate the neck side to side or to look down for extended periods of time because now in order to look down you must hang off the lower cervical spine which flexes the c5-C6 area of the spine. This all changes the normal curve of the cervical spine. Upper traps overly tight can cause dysfunction of the scapula leading to discomfort particularly if arms are say resting on a table instead of at your side. All the tight muscles are usually riddled with trigger points due to overly contracting. The scalenes and pec minor are accessory muscles to breathing and because people with this can't get a good deep breath they start shallow breathing which taxes these muscles....it is a mess and this is just a piece of it....If chiropractic is helping continue but I would think you would need a well trained physical therapist in conjunction....not just any ole therapist....one that is well trained in muscle imbalance....I went thru 4 before I found the right one....your last one was not the right one to say I can't find anything other than bad posture and send you on your way....that is a clear indication you should steer clear of that one. Call and ask in particular about muscle imbalance training and share everything about your imaging and symptoms with your physical therapist....also a massage therapist who knows myofascial release techniques can be beneficial...occasional moist heat for no longer than 10 minutes can help relax tight muscles....fixing your work station, proper pillow/ mattress etc., to get rid of this you will need a combination of stretching and strengthening but do the wrong exercise or do the right exercise the wrong way will cause further dysfunction and further symptoms....you will definitely need work on the deep neck flexors but you will need help so you don't do it wrong and definitely fixing any weak back musculature and most likely pelvic tilt....it took me 2 years to fix it and I worked on it everyday faithfully but my pain was so bad I really could not function...so maybe yours will be shorter just be patient...you can create new  ways of moving with some dedication.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative and helpful reply! You spent more time explaining the issue than my chiropractor did haha. Yeah I'm thinking I'll need to see another physical therapist as well since I'm sure it isn't just a bone problem, but a muscle one as well.

Wow two years is a pretty long time, but it's nice to know that you were successful in getting rid of the pain. Great dedication! 

Thanks again! I'll definitely be using this as reference.

• Posted

You may have TMJ. From the jaw pain and ear symptoms, sounds like a strong possibility. Google it and see a maxiofacial dr. I say this unless youvd got dental insurance, the maxio will be coveered under health. But the dentist will be dental. But educate yourself on it. Also have your regular Dr schedule u for an MRI , then go to a Neurologist & heel look at your MRI and tell you FOR sure if its your neck. Fyi, Iv got severe neck stuff going on and just found it can lead to TMJ, which i thought I was crazy, cuz I THOUGHT i had TMJ slso! My ear hurts, my jaw, headaches, etc. Good luck and keep me posted.

Kimmi

• Posted

I've considered possibly having TMJ, too. I went to a ENT doctor before (not sure if that helps), but she didn't spend much time on that possibility. I'll definitely consider getting an MRI though! I think my jaw pain stems from my neck as well. I appreciate you sharing some information from your own experience. I'll keep you posted!

Thank you!

• Posted

Yea i only JUST read they can be related. For yrs iv had neck problems AND TMJ symptoms. I never mentioned the word TMJ to my Gp and Neuro cuz i wanted treatment for my neck and didnt want them to say, oh its TMJ and then where do i go. But inside i KNEW i had TMJ also cuz under my ear was and always so tender and felt swollen like the mumps. Iv even lost hearing on that side. My jaw cracks and i wake up w headaches on left side. So after just reading the 2 can be related im so glad i now hope when i have a Branch Block next week on my neck, itll help botth. But im betting ill also have to address the TMJ next. I, like you, didnt know where to go. The dentists just want to give u a mouth guard. An ENT is Ear, Nose & Throat and just told me yup TMJ if i temember right. After lately reaearching im going to a Maxiofacial Dr. I believe this is who does treatment. Do some research. Anyone but a dentst, I say, as I dont have dental insurance & treatment can be thousands. Good luck, feel better. And DEFINITELY tell your regular dr u want to be referred for an MRI of that area. They will schedule it for you. Then they refer and nake u an appmt with a Neurologist Dr (that will get the results of MRI from ur dr or where u had it) . The Neurologist wont see you without an MRI. Call bfore your appmt and make sure theyve gotten your results bfore you go. I had to pick up a disc and take to him cuz my results were too light to read (the actual diagnosis will be written on your results also)

Keep me posted.

Kimmi

• Posted

Yeah me too. I never knew the two could be related, so thanks for sharing that! I've never heard of a Maxiofacial doctor, but I'll do some research on them for sure. Good luck with the branch block and with your Maxiofacial doctor. I hope you feel better as well!

Thank you for the helpful information and tips! 

• Posted

A Maxiofacial Dr does surgery on jaws, under/overbites, etc. Facial stuff.

Keep me posted! Best wishes

Kimmi

• Posted

Yup I just looked it up yesterday. 

I will. Thank you again and best wishes to you as well!

• Posted

Let me know what the Drs figure out for you. Chin up! It could be worse! Everyday Im greatful for whats NOT wrong with me!

Xo

Kimmi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.