What are your feelings on nerve blocks as treatment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was finally diagnosed with CRPS a year after a dog bite to my thumb that broke it in 3 places, severed a nerve and damaged a tendon. I've been getting huge amounts of Habapentin and Nortriptalyne prescribed and yesterday had an anterior stellate ganglion nerve block done. So far I'm NOT a fan. I barely had 4 hours relief in my hand in exchange for my eyelid drooping closed over my bloodshot tearing eye, an excruciating headache that lasted 8 hours, and pain in my throat/neck that lasted all day. I have another scheduled next week and then again a week later. What's the point?? Does this get better?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Geez, I'm sorry... Hearing the words 'finally diagnosed' always sounds so dreadful. According to my doctor, the three consecutive shots is normal protocol for crps and is a minimally invasive treatment. Sucks tho... Inform your doctor of your symptoms. I type my symptoms in memo on my phone, so I am somewhat prepared for my appt rolleyes I trusted my pmp and believed the expensive treatments would lessen or even relieve the pain. The injections did not help me; I eventually opted out and saving for ketamine infusions. That is my experience. The injections on that bundle of nerves may work for YOU! I hope you find some relief. Crps/rsd is horrible, honey, you are not alone

• Posted

Hi there

Were you able to get enough of a block initially to do any physio? My doc always said even an hour or two of block will help 'retrain' the nerves affected.. I had several stellate ganglion blocks when CRPS first started in my left arm.. Some would give me 24hours or less but not more, was able to do some physio which they always said was the best thing. Also some were horribly uncomfortable and others not so bad. Some people get lucky and get really great blocks for several days or weeks. Stick with it another time or two and see.. All the best to you.

• Posted

I had to have 6 ganglion blocks before getting a nerve stimulator put in for my crps. I too had the droopy eye after each one..did not help at all. The stimulator helps but has problem it's own. I hope you find relief

• Posted

I haven't heard to many good reports about nerve blocks from the research I've done. I know a lot of the pain is due to inflammation and my son takes a few things that some peoplemay find unconventional but they seem to do the first of all if it doesn't help it surely won't hurt he takes 2 Ibuprophen, 2 Benadryl, and a B12 and he takes these 3-4 times daily according to how the swelling is the first 2 are for swelling and inflammation around the nerves and the B 12 is supposed to help heal the nerves. He takes Lyrica at night and as we all know that's for nerve pain. Like I said if it doesn't help it surely won't hurt. It sounds like what you have been taking surely isn't working for the pain you have. I have been doing alot of research and foods you eat and drinks can cause problems with your CRPS .... Have you went to You Tube and searched for RSD/CRPS info there are a couple of video's on there of people who have this horrible nerve disease that have shared things about how their CRPS is in REMISSION . One is called STEPS TO CRPS REMISSION BY MIKE EVANS and the other one is CRPS 98 % REMISSION AFTER 15 YRS OF HELL IT HAS A PART 1 & 2 This man's name is Chris. I think you should watch these I think they may help you or at least I hope they do..God Bless and Keep you is my prayers and I wish you all the best of luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.