Anyone with a stricture

Posted , 4 users are following.

My stricture is between 14-20cm terminal area plus another 'proximal' but im not sure what that means,

My question is, does anyone else find sitting really hurts their stricture? As the day wears on i find it nigh on possible to sit and resort to laying down to relieve the pain. My gut sticks out like a little pyramid.

Im seeing the surgeon end of sept and im feeling its time to have it removed. Gi gave the aza and pred, but ive not taken any as he even said its not going to help the stricture as its scar tissue.

Im on low fibre diet for the last year.

I hope everyone is doing ok

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

All sounds very familiar. I've had several structures from scarring and had the surgeries in the same area. I know I sound like a broken record but maybe a short time on Modulen IBD liquid diet might help. It will be easier for your body to absorb nutrition, give you and your bowel a bit of a rest and maybe relieve that little pyramid of pain in your tummy.

Just a thought.... It's always helped me out over the years.

Hannah

• Posted

Thanks hannah.

You may be right. I did attempt it with nutrasip last year, but maybe i should give it a go.

Did you get any relief for a time after surgery and before the scar tussue formed?

• Posted

I've had some relief between surgeries. From the first to the second surgery I managed a good'ish 12 years. Then 7 years to my last surgery. Although plagued with constant active disease I have managed with diet, life style and periodic use of liquid feed. All drug therapies up until this year have failed to help. I'm now on Humira which seems to be really helping.....it's like a little miracle is happening!!

I hope your stricture is sorted soon and you can get some relief....

Let us know how you're going

Hannah

• Posted

Please see my reply to Alfielefoo,

how long were you on Modulen for and how did u manage the drink and the winter period.

I am concerned about being unable to eat for about 2months b4 surgery.

Thanks

• Posted

Usually on Modulen IBD for a minimum of 8 weeks with no solid food whatsoever and only hot or cold water to drink...... This has been an alternative to steroid and other drug treatment throughout my Crohn's history (28years). Particularly before stricture removal.

All surgeries have been terminal ileum and so far have managed to avoid a stoma.

I haven't been able to work for many years..... In the traditional sense!!

Winter time is tough on the liquid diet. But homemade soups, processed and smooth really help. You can gently heat the liquid diet but I prefer it cold. Boiled water with a little lemon juice and honey is also quite warming.

Keeping life as simple as possible and expectations of yourself to a minimum is helpful. And lots of love and support wherever you can find it!!

Hope this helps.

Stay strong

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Alfielefoo

Sorry to hear that you're feelings so uncomfortable. I haven't experienced the exact same pain as you're having but just about everything else hurts as some point of the day.. The joys of getting old I guess? I'm patiently waiting for the day when body transplants become available so that I can chose a newer model as mine is knackered! I would definitely be one without Crohns too!

I hope that your surgeon can do something for you. I know just how debilitating constant pain can be.

In the meantime I'll be thinking of you hoping that things improve.

Take care!

• Posted

I have also been told I have strictures and would be operated on b4 the end of the year.

Currently trialling Modulen IBD diet for about a week + low fibre diet. Still having pain especially at night.

Wondered if Indi Hannah had a colostomy after surgery, how long u were out of work for in relayion to recovery time.

• Posted

Great info folks.

sorry you're in the same boat too ma petit.

are you in the uk?

seeing surgeon on the 28th of sept I think (end of sept) for a review, so shall see where we go from there.

hope you're getting on with modulen.

• Posted

Hi me petit.

I had an Ileostomy last year and was off work for about 3 months. The length of time of related to the fact that I have a pretty physical job that involves lots of lifting - which is bets to be avoided after this type of surgery. It wasn't keyhole either which was another factor. I had the Ileostomy reversed at the end of March this year and had another 3 months off, mainly for the same reason.  I imagine less time off would be required if, for example, the person operated on had a sedentary job.

Hope this helps..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.