Dallas area Pain Doctor recommendation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from numerous ailments for the past 6 years. A few of the ailments are: peripheral neuropathy, Complex Regional Pain Syndrom (CRPS), Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrom (RSD), Orthostatic Hypotension and numerous other diagnosis. These problems are primarily the result of testicular cancer, cancerous nodes throughout the left side of my torso and a Teratoma that was wrapped around my aorta, vena cava and both kidneys. 

The pain group that was providing my treatment has decided to no longer treat chronically ill patients. The pain Doctor that I was referred to is very conservative. In the past my 2 spinal stimulators, Hydromorphon 4 times a day, Gabapentin and 75 mcg Fentynal Patch changed every 48 hours enabled me to at least participate in some routine activities on occassion. 

My my new pain group will not prescribe more than 50 mcg Fentynal Patch and have reduced my Hydromorphon to 3 times a day. I am now practically bed bound. My hands and feet are in constant pain no matter how intense I make the spinal stimulators. 

Im told by my neurologist that there is nothing that can be done to reverse all the nerve damage that I've suffered. I'm trying to find a doctor who will help me deal with this increased level of pain. When I talk to my current physician about this he tells me he is very conservative given the scrutiny his profession is under. He says he doesn't know any doctor that would increase my level of medication given today's environment. He said the reason the other practice n longer treats chronically ill patients is because of all the oversight. 

If anyone knows of a very good pain Doctor in the north Dallas area I would really appreciate the reference. Thank you very much. 

Bob

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bob. I'm very sorry for your suffering. I too suffer from RSS(,crps) they are the same . It's extremely painful. Unfortunately pain management clinics are under very stick laws from the dea . Here in Chattanooga you would unfortunately be limited even more . The laws that are in place for pain management are to keep drug seekers at bay bit they hurt us suffering from chronic. I hope you find additional relief ,my nerve stimulator helps but my hydrocodone and Gabapentin are the only relief I get but I'm still limited by pain I wish you the best in the future

• Posted

Hi Nova.

I'm do sorry to hear about all ur health conditions. I too have CRPS, but I live in north west Fort Worth. I life my PM Dr but he doesn't really understand RSD that much either. I've been seeing him for over 4 yrs and he still calls my condition neuropathy even though I came to him with the diagnosis of RSD/CRPS. Yes you have neuropathy with RSD, but RSD is so much more than that.

I have a intrathecal pain pump with Morphine and Clonidine in it. I also have a bolus for my pump and can give myself a "booster" 4 times a day, plus a I have oral oxymorphoneever 4 hrs as needed,, and promethazine for breakthrough pain. I also take 7

Zanaflex muscle relaxers a day. So, I don't think my Dr is stingy, but I would say, compared to others I know with RSD, he is on the conservative side with meds.

Have you though of getting g a pain pump? It's helped me more than anything I've tried and I've tried a lot of different .meds, injections, patched, physical therapy, acupuncture, massage therapy, biofeedback, etc.

Since you live in Dallas, I'd try getting g a dr at UT Southwestern. They have world renowned Dr's thete and I have seen on their website that they have research Dr's for RSD.

Hope u find a good, compassionate dr soon!

God bless,

Browneyes

• Posted

I don't know of that area but I will see what I can find out bacause there has to be someone out there that can prescribe what you need to help the pain your having. I have a suggestion and it may not sound like much as advanced as your CRPS is but sometimes the simplest things may help somewhat. My son has CRPS and he currently takes 2 Ibuprophen along with 2 Benadryl and that helps the swelling around the nerves since swelling causes alot of the pain and he takes them 3-4 times daily he also takes B12 which is supposed to help heal the nerves he takes them 3-4 times a day and I don't know if it will help or not but it couldn't hurt to try. I know narcotics don't do anything for my son but these things he takes does help he is also currently on Lyrica . I will check around and see if I can find out anything about Doctors in your area. I will let you know if I am lucky with finding something out for you and I wish you all the best . God Bless you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.