Gabapentin

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just started on gabapentin and after one 100mg my leg pain was better and my anxiety/depression better too. Is this unusual?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I never experienced anything like that I have to say ! It's not unusual if you have been in a lot of pain to feel your depression/anxiety lift when that improves, but I have to say one tablet is surprising.

I don;t know what dose you are being put on, but worth reading all the info. on here about this medication if you are going to be taking it long term.

• Posted

No, it shuts down your brain synapses in communications (prevents new synapses from forming) however I would suggest MMJ over this drug. I feel like my brain is dying after 10 years at 4500mg
    • Posted

Hi Deki,

Are you seriously on 4500mg a day ??! Crikey, if that is the case.

I took this drug for around 5 years, and was on a dose of 1800mg a day ( 600mg tds )....and I gradually came off this medication as I started noticing profound problems with my short term memory, couldn't remeber names, places etc, would get half way through a sentence and forget what I was talking about, my pain drs didn;t appear to take me seriously enough ( considering I have a 2i in Pharmacology I assure you I know what I am talking about and felt like my brain was like that of someone with Alzheimers ! )...I watched the film Still Alice ( I also read the book by Lisa Genova ) and that was it, I decided I was going to see if I could get off it. I have been off it 2 years and as far as I am concerned there is permananet damage to my brain function, I only wish that people are informed when taking this medication of the pros and cons, s I feel like I wasn't informed about the side effects, not even when I complained at consultant level, and now I fear it is too late for me, and I am only early 40s.

• Posted

Hi Holly

i have bulging cervical disc, had it for 4-5 yrs, i have been taking Gabipenton for 3 yrs, i'm now up to 4-5 doses of 300mg a day, that about 1500mg a day i havent noticed any worse memory, than i had before, as i have allways had short and ong term memory issues, names, etc.  since you have been off the meds how are you controlling your pain levels, i have almost daily migrane headache with out the Gabapenton 

• Posted

Would love MMJ  - in UK?  Using CBD but not strong enough - though massive improvement.    Was skeptikal but impressed at how well it works.  
    • Posted

Holly

I had similar problem with speech and language - it did get better but I wasn't on it for long and on a low dose. I ended up having brain MRI as they thought it was my cancer metastising - so that was fun.  

I have nervously returned to it today having had serious pain and then sleeping issues.  

I shall remember your advice and be very vigilant this time. 

It stopped the pain and I was desperate.  

• Posted

It is good to read some positive discussions on Gabapentim.  I have been on and off this drug for spinal cord pain for years but side effects were not to my liking.  Although I am sure if I heard about more positive reports on this drug it would help immensley as I am prone to see the negative side of stuff and would dearly like to hear of some more positive  reviews like yours Shandon.
    • Posted

I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain and arthritis and it's the only drug that as helped the nerve pain and kept it under control. 

• Posted

Shandon, 

i was taking 300 mg at night  then 2 a day, when i first started taking Gabapentin after a yr i thought it wasnt doing me any good, so i stopped, and quickly realized my headaches came bac, so i went to my dr, and my almose migranes were gone, i have noticed i end up needing to go up a pill agout on a yearly time line, i am taking 4 now, and experementing with the 5th a day, of course i will need to contact my dr soon so idont run out of meds. but i do notice the effect when i miss my dose.  

• Posted

I found this too and was hoping that I would not have to take the full dose. 

As below - I had severe side effects when on this before - impaired cognitive ability - really bad speech and communication problems - not being able to read and write properly all of which became distressing so I came off them.  I could barely speak.  

I have returned to them today out of desperation from spine problems in my neck which is causing ridiculous neuropathy.  

Nothing else has worked - other than CBD - but not strong enough. 

I'd rather keep tpo a small dose if it works but I'm told the lowest dose is 900mg

• Posted

What is TPO and CBD. I started Gab 3/4 weeks ago. Does help with nerve pain. Well it makes it tolerable. If there is an over the counter med that works please advise.
    • Posted

Apologies Sheliab,

The TPO is my bad typo... 

CBD - is via the Medipen which can be bought online. (I am in no way connected to them - this is not an advert but my expereince in the past few weeks.)   I had read various reports of these - not all good.   I was really in two minds as to try it.  I was so desperate from lack of sleep and pain issues that when I heard it was going to be trailed by the NHS - I thought I'd risk it - though it is very pricey.   

The first time - I thought it was awful (I got an unflavoured one) and hated the vaping.  I perservered and within 2/3 days my pain had significantly reduced and I was able to sleep most of the night for the first time in about 9 months.  I would estimate - conservatively it has helped reduce my pain issues by about 70%.  It doesn't happen immediately - it's subtle - but after a few days I found that I was sleeping better and my PT excercises that I struggled to do - I can now do. 

I hadn't ordered refills in time and I really noticed when the effects wore off and my pain returned. 

I only wish we could get them via the NHS.   

• Posted

PS 

I had very bad expereinces with gabapentin - hence my reluctance to go back to it.  

I took it for just one day this week - my CBD had only just arrived and I was still in a lot of pain.   

I didn't take Gabapentin yesterday and soemthing had happened to annoy me - BUt I noticed that I was in a really bad mood - more than I should be.   

I'm glad now that my nerve pain is supressed and so I'm not going to risk the gabapentin.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.