Recurring whatever

Posted , 5 users are following.

THis is dosconcerting! A couple of months ago I had severe sharp pain in my mid - left side abdomen. Went to ER where they thought I had Diverticulitis, and put me on antibiotic.  Saw my Gastro, and in spite of the fact that I had no fever, no increased white cells, no swelling, and much higher in my belly than normal, he agreed I had that.  He said I should get a Colonoscopy once the diverticulitis was fully healed. So 2 weeks ago I had the colonoscopy, and nothing was discovered.  yesterday, that same pain came back - again with absolutely no symptoms other than the sharp pain. No pain at all if I am completely still, but any movement, including breathing, there is pain.

Frustrated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When you were in the ER, did you do a CT scan? Once you were off your antibiotics, did you go back to your regular diet? Any chance it could be a kidney stone?
  • Posted

Hi srqli

Does the pain abate if you take paracetamol? Did they X-Ray your ribs, if pain is only there when you move it could be that you've fractured a rib or something. I was diagnosed with Diverticular disease about 18 months ago, it's usually lower part of belly and left side that is affected. Hope you get some answers soon!

• Posted

Dear SRQLI,

I wish I could answer your concerns but it looks at though the other have suggested the same that I would.  I certainly would have a CT Scan just to satisfy my own concerns but if nothing showed up during the colonoscopy, there's a good chance nothing will show up on the CT Scan.  

Hope you feel better soon and get the answers that you need.

• Posted

GOsh - I know I replied yesterday with more info in response to the first post here, but it is not here.

So anyway - I've had CT scan, Ultrasound, and because I had back issues at the same time, Xrays of spine as well as ribs. (Pain is a few inches below the ribs)  All negative.  By no pain if still, I mean completely still, not breathing. Otherwise, it hurts. EXCEPT it does not hurt as much if I am walking (which might even be a clue that it is muscular?).  I did take Acetaminophen (same thing as paracetamol, but the name for it in the US) once, but didn't stay with it.  Maybe I'll try that.   He did say after the Colonoscopy that if it returns, he'd do an Endoscopy to see what's going on.  I really don't want to go thru that prep again.  I really don't understand what an endoscope could find that wouldn't be seen on a colonoscope, since they go in the same place?

Seeing Gastro today at 3:00.  I think I'll lay off food until then. Just liquids - YET AGAIN  :-(

• Posted

Upper endoscopy is a procedure that enables the examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to examine the esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, and duodenum (first portion of small bowel) using a thin, flexible tube called the upperendoscope through which the lining of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum can be viewed.  I guess since he saw the colon in the other exam and couldnt' find any reason for your pain he thought he would check out the other end to see if anything showed up there.  I think this prep will be much better than the one for the colonoscopy.  One thing for sure girl you will be checked out inside and out.  

Good luck on your adventure to find out what is going on.  I hope they find out soon and you can get some relief.  

• Posted

That's my understanding of an Endoscope, too. Have had that in the past due to reflux.    BUT he clearly said Prep would be the same. UGH.

BTW - it is "guy", not "girl."

• Posted

Oops!  Please excuse my mistake and hope I didn't offend you with my comment.  I just misunderstood your earlier comment.  

Wonder why the prep is the same?  I can see not eating anything but having clear liquids for a couple of days before the procedure should do the trick, but then I'm not a doctor and I've never had one.

The prep really does put a person in a bad frame of mind.  I remember all too well.  

I suffer from Reflux.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the DD and how many DD sufferers have it as well?  Might be interesting to find out. Seems like I read somewhere that it was one of the causes but then again that was on one of the many sites that talk about DD and they are all different.

All the best for your and your healing from this awful disease.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.