Recently diagnosed with pancreas divisum

Posted , 6 users are following.

i just got out of the hospital three days ago after a one week stay.  I went to ER, not regular hospital that I have all care. No was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis.  I'm 53 year old woman, breast cancer survivor, never smoked or drank.

I remained on IV pain meds and liquid diet.  Tonignt I have developed severe diarrhea and don't know if this the onset of another flare up.  I have looked everywhere for info and get into see my GI until this week.  HELP.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think the diarrhea maybe more from the liquid diet but I can't say for sure. I have no idea what causes mine and it's been 2 and half years I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis.

• Posted

pancreatitis can only be treated with fluids and pain meds.  That is the truth... go back to the er...that could be c-dif (infec caught in hosp causing diarreah

• Posted

From what I am learning d is common after what you been thru. Your system is out of sorts remain calm stress is bad. I am at week 6 after my last hospital stay things still not normal.
    • Posted

I am sad for you and everyone on this site, it is a horribly painful disease an I just think its so unfair. I wish there was a cure but there isn't. I also wish I didn't have to take all the pills I have to take daily just to keep it a little under control. I also wish I knew when attacks or vomiting would be so I could work. It's a sad scary disease and I so badly wish it wasn't real life. Sorry if I'm being a downer

• Posted

It's funny that was said about stress. I thought it was just me or a coincidence the first time. I was telling a story about something and got "worked up" just explaining the situation and within 5 minutes I had a very bad attack. So yes, stress, excitement anything that makes your heart beat faster can bring on vomiting and an attack. Pretty sad you have to try and contain your emotions, happy, sad, excited it whatever. Thus disease is horrible!

• Posted

Dear 1Terri49783,

I was diagnosed with a divisum 12 years ago. I first had pancreatitis when I was pregnant 12 years ago. I nevery drank alcohol or drugs etc. My daughter is 12 healthy, straight A student. My pancreas is flaring, again. After I had my daughter I was sick for 2 years and did not work. I am a PhD psychologist in the Los Angeles area for the County of Los Angeles. My pancreas then rallied, I got off pain meds a worked 10 more years. My pancreas is flaring again, but I have a gastroenterologolgist and a pain doctor and I continue to work. A divisum is a birth defect that causes chronic pancreatitis and is NO FUN! It is not your fault. Good luck and please write me back and give me SUGGESTIONS and HELP. I'm a SPONGE. The more I can learn the better. Thank you and, I will keep you updated and in my prayers. 💜 drseanne

• Posted

Hi Terri,

I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and after the two of them the doctors could only confirm again that it is only my pancreas that is all messed up and the ducts are completely closed. I have been having flare ups for over two years and been jerked around by the medical practice. Has the liquid diet helped you? I am thinking of starting that myself now and I hope that others can give me some advice. I am 64 years old and don't have good insurance so I will not go into the hospital. I used to weigh about 118 pounds and now I am 87 pounds and I do not think I am able to absorb any nutrients anymore. What do you get for nutrition if I may ask? I am starting to read some of the other posts and I hope others can give me ideas and information that will help to guide me as to where to get info, etc.

I hoe you start feeling better soon. Bonnie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.