Achilles getting better after 5 weeks and 4 days

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

I ruptured my Achilles on the 22nd of July and cast went on straight away (non surgery) for 3 weeks and on moon boots for 2.5 weeks now. I am moving about with 2 crutches since day one and obviously still in a bit of pain.

I went to a family wedding on Saturday and was on my feet for about 5 hours in total and in total agony until I can't bear the pain any longer and went to the car to sleep. Left the wedding 1am Sunday and slept for 10 hours and when I woke up, I could move about in the boot freely with no crutches and less pain. I am very excited about this but a bit sceptical at the same time. I have booked an appointment with the hospital (private) on Wednesday, I really feel I could walk in trainers now but obviously I won't even attempt it until given go-ahead by the doctor. I obviously have a limp while walking.

Has anyone been able to walk in boot without crutches around 6 weeks mark?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Peter,

I had surgery on my Achilles' tendon on July 28th and was put in cast for 4 weeks. Dr. told me that I could not put any weight on my foot at this time. That had to be the worst part of the recovery. Hopped around on one foot with a walker for that entire time, all while not being able to shower.

Last Friday I got the cast removed (yayyy) and took my first steps since having my surgery. It's like learning to walk all over again! Today is day 3 of me walking with the boot and it has been slow and tedious, but I am so glad to be out of that cast. My foot swells and is sore from just my going to and from bathroom. When I'm not walking or wearing the boot I lay down with my foot elevated. I start physical therapy on Thursday and am praying it will help.

• Posted

That's fantastic news Dez5228, great feeling when the cast is out and able to move about a bit. All the very best with your recovery.

I am just soo excited that I can walk again but extremely careful as I wouldn't want a re-ruptured.

Let me know how you are getting on.

• Posted

Peter although the foot feels strong I would definitely wait for docs recommendation. Your feeling. I ruptured mine in the 28th July operated on the 29th. 2 cast in 4 weeks. And tthen put into a boot last week with 3 heels risers. Back next week to have one removed. I'll be week 6 then and still won't have any weight on it

• Posted

Thanks sunflower35. I have been extremely careful as I wouldn't want a re-ruptured, which I am told its more painful than the first time lol.

I also had 3 heels risers but I was advised to remove then every 2 weeks by myself, first was removed yesterday. So am wondering why I didn't have to go back to the hospital for removal, maybe due to non surgical route.

All the best with your recovery.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Peter, I am 6 weeks today and I have been in boot since day one, no surgery either for me.

I have been taking boot off to sleep and shiwer for about 3 weeks now and about the last week taking the boot off to walk around house. Although walking is kind of a shuffle turning foot to the side it still few good to be in my feet. I still wear the boot when I go out just to be safe and just started to take boot off to drive a little since last weekend as was my right leg. Feels good to start to be independent again and hopefully I will also return to work in 2 weeks.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi jjktmk14, that's fantastic news. Seems like we are very similar in our recovery, you are a little bit further than I am as I am too scared to walk barefoot, at least until I have a go ahead from the doctor.

Would you mind posting on a weekly basis to see how you are getting on please, it will help me and few others in the same time frame to see what to look forward too?

All the best with your recovery.

Thanks

• Posted

No worries will do Peter. I have my first pri ate physio session tomorrow and my 2nd hospital physio visit on Friday. Believe me I have really supposed myself on how quickly my recover is going as I have done left one 5 year ago and was completely different.
    • Posted

Well I have been to private physio session this morning and she is more then happy with my recovery. The massage was great and helped with movement after. She said to start strengthening excerise with resistance band and showed me what to do and she said maybe another 2/3 weeks before we remove boot all together. Need to build up strength as much as possible first which make perfect sense.

I have hospital physio on Friday so will be very interesting to see what they say to compare the two.

Let you know what happened sphere after I go.

Hope you are having good progress.

• Posted

That's a fantastic news. I am curious to know what hospital physio says to you on Friday.

Have you been scanned again to confirm the healing? I am hoping to be scanned tonight so I can put my mind to rest that I am actually recovery well.

• Posted

How are you guys walking already my angle of my foot isn't 90' yet. I thought I'd be at that angle week 8

• Posted

I honestly couldn't tell you but when I woke up on Sunday morning my foot just felt strong less minimum pain.

• Posted

Hi peter

I ruptured the archillies tendon on the 19th August had to have surgery on the 20th august, was in a cast since yesterday the 30 August.  Have never felt something so painfull and challenging all my life.  From being so active to feeling completely helpless.  The cast came off yesterday and not sure what I was expecting but i was so panic sticken when i realised that i couldnt move my foot and was still very limp. Went immediately to physio where i fitted with a moon boot and some excersies to follow.  Actual physio can only start next week, a bit of swelling and still quite bruised. Cant decide which is worse the boot or being in plaster, also having trouble walking with the boot and also using crutches.  Feeling very dispondent but Im told to take one day at a time.  From what ive been told the boot has to stay on for 6 weeks and only after a week or two one crutch gets dumped. I guess its only time and paitence.

• Posted

Hi Asha, you are making a good progress already. The boot is very uncomfortable at first but much better than the cast as the cast is very restrictive.

One step at a time, I struggled with boot and crutches for a week even falling over but it gets easier daily.

Yes the boot will be on for about 6 weeks which I think it's an average time.

Also get yourself an ice bag and apply to both side of your ankle, 15mins a time (to avoid frost bite)and about 3 times a day, the swelling will go down.

All the very best with your recovery.

• Posted

I think this is the norm. I due to full weight bearing at 4 weeks and I'll aim to be rid of crutches at hopefully 5-6 weeks. I've been PWB since week 2. If you watch some of the youtube videos Evan Brown and Brady Browne, they're all crutchless by 4-5 weeks.

• Posted

That's good to know. Hope you are getting on well.

How many weeks are you now?

• Posted

I'm approaching my third week, it's going well as expected, just partially weight bearing at the moment, trying not to over do it. Can;t wait to ditch these crutches, the boot I don;t mind too much. I bought a vacoped boot and it's a lot more confortable than the boot the hospital gave me. I think that hospital boot was quite dangerous, the wedges were slipping around in the boot.

• Posted

That's really quick to be partially weight bearing on third week, you must be doing something right lol.

I found the wedges in the boot to slipping as well but once the first one came off Sunday it felt much better.

• Posted

My surgeon put me on partial weight bearing now (i'm 34 days post op) and wants me to wean into shoes in another couple of weeks.  I hope I can do it..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.