Antiandrogen Selection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm transgender mtf, and I'd like to try some otc antiandorgen just to see if I'd want to continue with a full transition. There are just so many kinds though and each of them advertise something s little bit different. A lot of them are advertised to treat acne. Would those be affective in removing other masculine traits? I'm overall just kind of lost. I'm definitely no expert. Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't know anything about transitioning but I have in the past taken an oral contraceptives with antiandrogen for acne. And for me it caused a condition called chloasma which is a discolouration of the pigmentation of the skin usually in patches. This usually occurs in pregnant women with hormonal changes. It happened on my face and became very dark and noticeable and can take a long time to dissappear. It did eventually when I stopped taking it and by using sun block maybe it's not too relevant to your question but a cautionary tale.

Good luck

• Posted

So are you saying that your anti acne medication didn't work and sun block removed your acne?

• Posted

The oral contraceptive helped the acne and it worked per all my acne cleared. The side effect for me was the chloasma. I had to stop taking the tablets and avoid the sun for it to fade and use sun block to stop the patches getting worse.
    • Posted

Honestly, I don't know but in the warning section it did state that it was a possible side effect, then you must stop taking it. It did suck I had just swapped one problem for another. Thankfully after I think after about a year it had cleared. Messing with hormones is a delicate process I've always had problems with mine and could not take any oral contraceptives in the end as their was always a side effect for me.

• Posted

Women have it rough. You sure you want to do this?
    • Posted

Well you prob will not go through what we do. This is why were here... We need support because of our awful, and debilitating symptoms caused by flucuations of hormones. You will be better off a man, trust me. You prob will not suffer like we do. You will never be 100 _percent woman and be thankful for that.
    • Posted

Thanks for the warning. I already know things will be very different. Gender dysphoria isn't something that I can ignore or switch off though. I've read that pimozide can supress dysphoria, but then I wouldn't really feel like I was being true to myself. Maybe I won't suffer like you do, but I'll suffer in my own way if I don't transition. So yes, I am definitely going to transition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.