Failed surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I had an a@p repair in May which failed after 2.5 weeks. The surgeon said to see him again in October to decide whether or not to operate again. Although it's smaller than the first prolapse it still causes me problems when my period is due. I feel it is manageable the rest of the month. Don't know what to do, frightened that it may fail again but don't want to live with this for the rest of my life. My gp said it is unlikely that it would fail again I was just unlucky!

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A lot depends on the condition of your pelvic floor caroline so it's difficult for anyone other than your Urogynaecologist to tell you what the chances of failing again are again. I would ask your consultant why he thought it failed and is he going to use the same sutures etc if he decides you're a good candidate for it to be repeated but I think you have to prepare yourself, he may not be in too much of a hurry to operate again so soon. He may want you to try a course of physiotherapy for example.

• Posted

Have had a course of physio prior to having op done. Still keeping up my exercises too every day x
    • Posted

That's good caroline, I really hope you get this sorted out because it is so disheartening when you go through a major operation for it to go wrong. Fingers crossed for you and I think you've just been one of the very unlucky ones. X

• Posted

Matron I went back to work today (school). I am in a lot of discomfort with dragging and pains in my stomach. Prolapse feels so bad, head asked me if I was going to have op in October but I said no as I have a few family problems that need to be resolved before I contemplate anymore surgery. Is there any holistic things I can do/take to ease discomfort? X

• Posted

Hello caroline I'm sorry you didn't have such a good day. I think there will be a few ladies who can identify with how you feel, I know I had some discomfort when I initially returned to work but it sounds as though it was worse. You've gone back to work, working a full day which your body is probably struggling to cope with, particularly your pelvic floor. I have to be honest I just can't think of anything you can do apart from reducing your hours and build them up gradually which I suppose isn't something you can do. You obviously need to rest tonight, feet up and an early night with some painkillers and a hot water bottle. Doing pelvic floor exercises may help but you probably do those already. This will no doubt improve as the days and weeks go by but graduated return is really the best way to get your body and  pelvic floor back to your normal routine. Hopefully some other ladies will have some ideas based on their experiences xx

• Posted

Thank you matron. Going to have a bath and an early night. Have been moving furniture and been on my feet all day. Kids aren't back till next week, so setting up mostly this week. X

• Posted

Please take it easy caroline and try to opt out of anything like lifting, moving furniture and try and sit down as much as possible xx
    • Posted

Oh Caroline, no wonder you feel rotten. Please, please do not move furniture ~ even small chairs cause you to bend and lift which is not good for you. Your headteacher will understand if you explain that you are still building up to full recovery. Try to find ways around all the hundred and one things you would normally do without thinking. Children can be surprisingly helpful as well as colleagues.
    • Posted

Thank you, things will hopefully get easier next week when the kids come in! X
    • Posted

Please try. That last thing you want is to feel too unwell to go to work. moira is absolutely right about the moving furniture. I'm trying not to nag because I know you don't need that but we are all here supporting you 😘😘

• Posted

Thank you, have had a look and its bulging out of the vagina like original one. Think it's actually grown since op too.

• Posted

It probably has but it's obviously dropped because you've been doing more than usual today. Avoid lifting as much as you can and anything else that could put pressure on your pelvic floor xx

• Posted

Hi matron, saw my consultant this week and he is going to do a second a@p repair, hope it works this time xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.