Complete torn achilles tendon.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Damaged my heel end of February. Managed a doctors appointment one week later who said I had probably damaged the tendon. Few weeks later, a lump appeared on the back of my heel. Doctor arranged a US scan,-result a rupture. Saw a consultant, who  arranged an MRI scan,which confirmed this. Saw the consultant 30th August who confirmed that the two parts of the tendon could not be joined and an operation could be possible to use the tendon from my big toe to repair the achilles tendon, or I can leave things as they are. I am 78, do not do any sport anymore, and am able to walk and do gardening, without  pain apart from sometimes a little soreness on the lump at the back of my heel (part of the tendon). The consultant left it with me to think over in regard to operate or not. Has anyone else had a problem like this who could let me know of their experience?   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bernie I've not had that experience, but I'm curious to know if you feel like you can get around just fine without surgery? I'm finding that surgery and recovery is very long and affects your mobility a great deal. I only chose surgery because I'm still in the workforce and very involved in sports and rely heavily on my mobility.

• Posted

That sounds odd; without the tendon I wouldnt expect you to be able to walk much.. I thought the tendon contributed a lot to the balance and push off... but if its not detracting too much from your mobility its probably ok to leave. I popped my tendon at 65 and went for conservative treatment; fixing the foot in a boot with the toe down and let the tendon heal. It worked but its a long tedious process, and 2 years along I'm only just feeling norml

• Posted

Hello Bernie. I ruptured my AT in 2 seperate places about 18 months ago. Over the following months I managed to potter around but nothing like I did before. In July I fell and tore my AT totally away from my calf muscle. I now have a 2 cm gap but can still walk small steps with plenty of rest. The surgeon has now said I'll not get any better and need the surgery where they were happy to leave my before this. Has your Dr said what you will be like in 1-2-3 years? The surgery seems simple but the recovery isn't. IF you can manage I'd carry on but if not get it done. I'd been putting the surgey of and now I can't. Denise

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.My AT is completely ruptured,and I have this bump onmy heel which is one part of the tendon presumably curled up.My consultant have given me a few weeks to think about an operation or not, with the advice that if I can walk without without discomfort then perhaps I should leave things as they are. I can walk without trouble but if I walk for a long period then there is a slight soreness on my heel. At my age I do not relish an operation and then the foot in plaster for at least 6 weeks and physio for a further 6 weeks.In your case having torn the tendon from the calf muscle itself it is a more serious situation. Hope things turn out O.K.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.