Do scabies rash disappear after a few hours??

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I think I might have scabies.

I came back from a trip to South East Asia mid-July. While waiting for my luggage at the airport I felt intense itch on the buttocks and I can feel the large welts even through my jeans. I didn't think too much of it because I thought it could be just mosquito bite.

However a couple of days later I started having itchy raised bumps that looks like bites near the armpits and the sides of the torso, stomach and back in the evenings. I also have itchy bumps on the buttocks and b*tt crack, behind the knees, inner thighs, groin, belt line and a couple of times the privates.

In bed, the itch is mainly around the armpits and chest.

The "bites" usually goes away after a few hours leaving the area with almost no trace except for a very very slight redness and sometimes I see something that look like a pin prick.

This has been going on for about 6 weeks.

I'm the only person at home who has this "bites". Even my spouse who sleeps on the same bed doesn't get these "bites".

At first I thought maybe I have acquired bed bugs from the trip. So I checked the bed, mattress, furniture. I've not found any bugs, blood stains or fecal marks. But as a precaution I threw away the luggage, sprayed the bed, furniture, baseboards, carpets with permethrin and fumigate the room. Still I get those itchy bumps in the evenings. I only occasionally see "bites" in the morning and sometimes feel itch

So I went to the doctor yesterday. Showed him pictures of the "bites" I took the night before and show him those same areas during the consultation, which have almost no signs of the "bites".

According to the doctor, the fact that the rash or bites disappear within a few hours meant that it is not scabies. He said if it were scabies, the "bites" doesn't go away. He thinks it might just be urticaria.

Is it true that with scabies, the itchy bumps or "bites" doesn't go away?  

Would the barely visible small pin-prick marks suggest some sort of bites?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, I read your post and I feel for you. I see that your post is three months old now. Jut wondering if you are over the "scabies" or urticaria? I am experiencing the exact same thing as you did...Would really like to compare notes with someone who has gone through the same thing..

• Posted

I feel for you too! I'm also having the same exact problem. I recently moved and bought a new mattress and sheets and thought it could be bed bugs or maybe a rash from the new mattress. Did you end up figuring out what it was? This seems like the exact situation. My husband has nothing on his body too and my rashes go away within the hour of getting out of bed.

• Posted

Did you ever figure out if you had scabies or something else? I was told I had scabies. Did the cream treatment and broke out in really bad hives and bites on the side I was sleeping on. After a few hours the hives and bites went away only leaving a few tiny little pin prick spots. So worried. I have a 3mth old baby and don't want to pass this to him. Was told the cream would not be the best thing to put on him due to his age. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.