26cm Cyst Removed Today! Sharing information

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I decided to make a new thread because the other one was a lot of chit chat about post surgery and I wanted fo share my experience. I am 24 and was diagnosed with a 26cm x 13.5cm x 29cm about 2 and a half weeks ago after a routine exam.

To start, I got a call yesterday to let me know that I was to arrive at 6:15am, and surgery was at 8:00am. The hospital is about an hour and 20 minutes from where we live so we got up at 3am and arrived early at 5:40am and they proceeded to check me in. After waiting for maybe 5 minites, they called me into the back to prep for surgery without my spouse. They said once I was all prepped, she could come and wait with me.

First thing I did was strip down and take out my piercings. They collected a urine sample to test for pregnancy. They proceeded to start an IV on me. Started on the hand, but too much movement caused her to lose the vein. So they did it in the middle of my under arm. Surprisinfly, they injected me with a numbing agent before both, which barely hurt and the only thing that I felt was pressure! With that being said, I opted to NOT have having the epidural catheter that was offered for pain management and went with extra pain control intervenously despite any side affects that may occur.

So because I was feeling anxious before surgery so they have me Versed(?) and wow, I was on cloud nine! I also was given oral pain medicine as well, some as big as a horse pill but I had take it.

I met with a bunch of pre op nurses, resident doctors, my surgeon and my anesthesia team. They asked me some questions and I asked a lot of questions. The resident doctor said my right ovary and tube would likely have to be removwd due to extrextremely large cyst.

I eventually get wheeled off into surgery which i

remember. The last thing I remember is lying in surgery and being told to breathe into a mask 10 times.

Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery ansolutelty freezing! They gave me more blankets and checked my vitals. The pain wasn't awful but definitely 8/10. I was so anxious I felt like I was going to have a panic attack so they tried to finish up and get me to my hospital room asap.., I was in recovery for an hour and a half and surgery was 2 hours. AND they were able to keep my ovaries intact! The resident doctor said it couldn't have gone any better. I'm on my period so they let me keep a tampon in during pre-opt and then they took it out in the surgery room for me.

Wnen I went to my room I had a lot of people ask how I was doing and how they were in the surgery room and already met me but I had no idea who they were LOL In my room they added morphine into my IV and gave me Clomipen(?) to calm me down. I also have some fancy socks and my lega are in padded devices (like the ones you use to check blood pressure). My catheter was still in up unti 4 hours ago. I've had to make my way to the bathoom with assistance and it was painfull. Whenever I was in there, I felt like dizzy, nauseous, panicking and like I was freezing and about to pass out. I make my way back to the bed as fast as I can. I'm in pain but not being to stand is an issue and my vitals are fine so maybe I shoud ask for an anti-anxiety medication. However, they are currentlh rotating me on morphine in the IV and oral Purcasets(?).

I have a good appetite and they said if I'm doing well, I could possibly leave tomorrow however I plan on requesting an extra day regardless. Although I had a laparotomy, and they originally thought it would have vertical from my bellybutt down, they ended up doing a horizontal bikini cut.

They drained 6 litres of liquid, so abour 13-14 pounds of weight loss I will be getting! They will be sending a biopsy as well for cancer screening and they think its highlt unlikely. And just note for anyone who hasn't followed my last thead, the CT scan results indicate it is most likely a serous cystadenoma, a benign cyst. They suggested l go on birth control to decrease the risk of them reoccuring.

Anyway, I think that's. And yes, I am high as a kite while writing this, it's taken me an hour to type this out on my phone... Haha!

All and all the pain is alright, and I'm getting more comfortable with the medical procedures. It is not as scary as you think it will be, everyone was right. If anyone has any queations, or wants to add anything, please do!!

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also I had disolving stitches put in versus staples. Tomrrow is the day when I walk around the hospiral and try to push through the pain.
    • Posted

Glad you're doing ok. The waiting really is worse than the surgery. Getting up isn't too bad either, once you're up the shuffling abouts isn't so bad, you'll just tire really quickly. The more active you are the quicker you'll get home x

• Posted

Thank you.

One of the residents said that I'm physically looking well enough to release today in her opinion based on that and my bloodwork etc but I'm still having pain in my surgical area, especially when I cough or change sitting positions.

It's also hard to stand for short periods of

time after I pee. I get really dizzy, cold and light-headed and feel the need to lie back down asap. So I requested an extra day just to be in a controlled environmemt where it can heal a little more. I have 3 cats and a large, excitable dog and my spouse has horrible eczema on her hands so she is a bit limited in assisting me and then she goes nack to work shortly since we need the momey. The residemt said she'll tell the surgeon that and they'll be coming back to make their rounds shortly and change my dressing etc.

Ps is there any way to edit old posts for spelling errors?

• Posted

Also the reason they were able to save my organs is that the cyst wasn't completely attached to my right ovary but almost nudged in between my fallopian tube. It might have not been attached to anything honestly I can't remember their exact words.

• Posted

I apologize as I was a big part of the chit chat on the previous post. Been a rough time.

I will read your post later today and try to offer my advice if I can.

• Posted

Oh no need for apologies! I just wanted to start a fresh thread because I had a lot to type out, haha.

• Posted

😊 thank you. I want to read your story better and respond when I can. This is a wonderful support group. I learned a lot here and I want to help others if I can.

• Posted

Congratulations, you did it! It's over and now you mend. No need to fix typos in old messages. I cant8 believe how coherent you are and high as a kite too!! ;-) You rock!!

One tip, my abdomen had been quite enlarged so my skin was loose after surgery making pain worse when I moved. I asked for a belly band andvit helped tremendously. Held things in place and walking was much easier.

Rest, get well. Sending hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi,

It took me about an hour to type that message out. I kept missing letters and passing out or zoning out. Morphine and purcacets(?) made me feel very loopy and relaxed but I'm still feeling some pain. Just got more pain medicine and should be feeling it shortly.

For someone who got little sleep, I'm not super tired.

I don't have much lose skin but I'm not sure if the bellyband would help being that the incision is more like a c-section.

Thank you!

• Posted

Great, you won't need it then.

Your adrenalin is pumping. Once it wears off you will crash. SLEEP Pain meds make it bearable but don't completely eliminate it. Be sure you have a laxative, you're on some pretty strong meds and will likely be constipared.

I'm so glad you're over the hurdle and doing well. YAY!!!

• Posted

Thanks, me too!

I have not had a bowl movement since Monday, but I usually only go once every other day anyways but I don't have any desire to go. I stil passed a little gas yesterday after surgery.

• Posted

I just  typed you a message and they moded it.  The dizzy feeling when you go to the bathroom or walk is from the pain meds I had it to. Glad you are ok  Sounds like we both had the same type of cyst they are the ones that grow big but lucky for us are benign. Ask for stool softeners they worked great for me. get some rest and type when you are up to it we are all thinking about you biggrin

• Posted

Yeah we are going to not use the morphine today to see if thag decreases the dizzymess because once my spouse comes back from checking on the animals, we are going to attempt to go for a walk.
  • Posted

So glad to hear all went well! And you still have your ovary and tube! Be sure not to over-do it for the specified amount of time so you can heal properly.
    • Posted

Will do!

The Dr. said I could go back work no earlier than Oct 1 given my very active job..

• Posted

The dizzy feeling when you go to the bathroom or stand up is the pain meds I had it too. you had the same type cyst I  had. Is your stomach a lot smaller it has to be. There is a plus for the pain.  Have them give you stool softeners.They worked for me. Glad your doing well type us when you feel up to it .Rest up lol

• Posted

It is a lot smaller! The fluid they drained was 6 litres so about 13 poinds lost!

I'll ask about the stool softener but I don't have a bowel movement every day anyways nor do I habe any desire to go but we shall see what happens!

• Posted

It wont make you go everyday just makes it a lot easier to go it will be soft so you dont have to strain your stitches
    • Posted

Good luck. Stool softener and gas relief recommended. In US has x is the brand

Really helps you on the road to recovery. No permanent damage...😊

• Posted

Thank you!

Spending today and tomorrow morning in the hospital then going home. It's going to be a rough first week I think but it will get better through the following weeks and I should be back to work October 1st.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.