Advise on radiation therapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

After a PSA result of 17 ng/ml and a biopsy that showed a gleason 7, my husband underwent radical prostatectomy in January of this year.  on his first 3 mo. visit his PSA was at 5.1!  

The pathology results on his tumor showed a gleason score of 5;  scintigraphy and contast CT results are negative.

Doctor is waiting for current PSA test results but is recommending radiation. 

Our question is: considering age and lab results, wouldn't hormone therapy be more advantageous than radiation and all it's side effects?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I neglected to state that my husband is 73 years old, got his first Hormone Therapy shot July 22.  He's very energetic, in great shape and feels great.

• Posted

Hi Tania

Sorry to hear about your husband's psa.  Do you know why the psa was not at zerofter the op? Presumably some left behind in a positive margin, or spread that they had not detected?

David

• Posted

With Gleason score of 5 that surprises me. Usually, for Gleason 5 only AS is recommended. Surgery most likely left something behind. Yes, I would go with hormone therapy if it would be me at age of 73.
    • Posted

Hi MK51151

We were quite surprised also to have just found out the gleason score of the pathology report.  His original biopsy score was G7 and it was based on that, the PSA levels and results from various other tests that the doctor recommended various treatments, my husband opted for RP. Prior to the RP he was also having enormous issues with incontinence, difficulty urinating, etc However, had we had the slightest inkling that his Gleason was in fact lower he would have opted for other treatments. 

• Posted

My original question was about exactly this but I have been convinced by the many replies I have had that radiotherapy is the way to go. It is, however, a decision that can only be made by your husband. My Gleason score was 9.5 and PSA 6.2 which was reduced to 0.2 with hormone treatment. I am 78 years old and was told my my oncologist that I could expect hormone therapy to keep the cancer under control for up to 12 years. After 9 months on HT I have decided on RT because the cancer can be eliminated with RT and it will always be there with HT, even if in a reduced and relatively benign state. If your doctor is recommending RT does that not suggest that there are cancer cells present? You do not say whether the cancer was contained within the prostrate or had burst out.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Barry,

According to his doctors, the initial information was that the cancer was contained and completely removed however, 3 months post op his PSA was 4.8 and 1 month after that it was 5.1 suggesting that some cancer was left behind since it should clearly have been non detectable! 

We are in the process of getting second opinions.  As for your doctor not wanting to operate wish we had had one like that.

• Posted

I had removal in Jan 2013 - it grew back again in the prostate bed in Feb 14 I had a TURP to remove it followed by RT - 33 sessons and Zoladex emplants.  over 2 and a half years later my PSA is maintained at 0.01.  The side effects mean nothing if you are walking and talking - go for it.
  • Posted

I forgot to say that my oncologist said that they would not operate on my cancer because of the chance that some of the cells would be left and start growing again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.