Cushings or/ and just PCOS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, i'm just going to jump right in with my questions.

I am 27 and got diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age of 19.

i have been ill alot lately with alot of Unirary tract infections, back pains, muscle pains, easy weight gains, swollen ankles, abdominal pain, triedness i am always tried, always thirsty, always hot and sweaty, irregular periods, low mood, and depression

i saw a physio who referred me bac to my gp and wanted me checking for cushing syndrome. My doctor just thinks its my PCOS and has nothing to do with cushings but has sent me for a blood test anyway.

Has anyone else got PCOS and cushing and how was it diagnosed? was it harder to Diagnose because of the PCOS?

thanks in advance

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I went undiagnosed for 16 years. During that time, one of my doctors told me that my symptoms micmicked PCOS. She refused to do a blood workup on me, opting instead to treat my symptoms as if I had PCOS, even though she acknowledged that I didn't have that. I was on Spironolactone and birth control pills (Yasmin) for over 10 years. This mitigated some of the outward physical symptoms restoring me to a more normal appearance. It was a double edged sword though, because my normalized appearance made my Cushing's harder to diagnose. Fortunately, I moved across the country and my new doctor deduced that my symptoms might be related to Cushing's regardless of my appearance, and she ordered a full blood workup. After a whole slew of tests, I had an MRI which revealed a pituitary tumor which was secreting ACTH and triggering crazy amounts of cortisol production in my body. I had transsphenoidal surgery to remove the tumor 10 months ago and am now in recovery. My best advice is to go through with all of the tests and don't allow doctors to dismiss you due to the PCOS symptoms. Do as much research as possible so you are well informed when speaking with doctors - this is not a common disease, so many times they don't have all of the answers. If you have any questions or just want to commiserate, I am here for you.

~ Alayna Setter

• Posted

Hi I know u posted this months ago , but thought I'd reply anyways . Do u have times when you feel hyper? Literally feels like your on drugs awake all night then super sore and tired sick when it passes ? These symptoms are more common in cushings I think I may have this but in cyclic form ??Which usually ends up with loads of normal levels . They are trying to tell me it's just pcos stress and anxiety but my testosterone levels are normal or low and my periods aren't irregular so it can't be pcos but have loads of other hormonal stuff (hair growth oily skin etc) apparently I could be insulin resistant which usually comes with pcos and/cushings and that can cause everything you've explained .hope this helps x

• Posted

I am 20 years old now and I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16. I have been on BC for about 5 years now - for the pcos. I also have been susceptible to infections in the past year and have many symptoms of cushings like, purple/red striae on my abdomen, thighs, and breasts, excess hair growth, weight gain in the abdomen and a hump between my shoulder blades. I was tested for cushings by having a 24 hr urine collection and that came back normal as well as a blood test checking my cortisol amounts. It is Important to note, that coritsol testing in the urine can vary based on many things. I am looking to find a clear diagnosis as I have gained 20 lbs in the past 3 months! Can't have that happening.

Hope you find your answer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.