Macular Degeneration treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

My wife has an appointment for an injection being the second of 3 initial injections for age related macular degeneration during the expected junior doctors Septemebr 5 day strike.

The first injection was carried out by a nurse.

Could the second injection appointment be compromised as a result of the strike.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your wife has wet macular degeneration as opposed to dry macular degeneration. It should be stated which type due to the fact that dry macular degeneration is untreatable. It could mislead people into believing both types can be treated. I know because I have dry type and will lose all my central vision - nothing can be done.
    • Posted

I am sure the injections can be done by a nurse as they must be in a certain sequence. They are very very expensive and once started the course mmust be completed.
  • Posted

As stated by Dowham Oldie, your wife has wet mac, not dry for which there is no cure. I doubt your wife's appointments will be cancelled, as if she was treated by a nurse, then a nurse will probably carry out the injections as planned. If in doubt, why not ring up the hospital and try to get a confirmation that she will be seen and dealt with on the dates of the strike. I very much doubt that Junior Doctors would be performing this procedure, but it's best to phone and ask, rather than have a wasted journey. I also expect that many junior doctors will not be taking strike action, as last time they striked a lot of junior doctors just worked as normal.

• Posted

I would say there is a possibility that the injection may have to be delayed. I would suggest you contact the hospital before attending.
  • Posted

Thank you to all who have replied.

Yes it is wet Macular degeneration; I (we) are only starting to become familiar with the precise terminology.

Again thank you for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.